Terrible wound...advice please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by feathers_3, May 18, 2011.

1. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    My Jack Russel dug into my chicken pen this morning [​IMG]. She bit one of my pullet's legs and there is chunk missing. The pullet is eating and drinking, but hopping around on one leg. I can tell she is in pain but I don't know what to do for her or if it's best to put her down. I would post a picture of it but she's been laying down and I don't want to cause her any more discomfort by rolling her around on the ground or picking her up. I need to know what the best thing to do for her is. Thank you so much!

2. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Can you clean the wound and sort of tape or "Butterfly" it closed? It might heal up and she could be just fine.

3. feathers_3

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I've cleaned it but there's no way to close it. The best way I can describe it is that it's like if you bit into a chicken leg. Then there is a little piece of meat hanging down. But I don't see the bone. I'm worried about bugs and grit getting in it and infection since I can't close it up. Is there anything I can do for her pain?

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  4. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Silly me I answered the notification email from this post!! I wonder where thiose go when you do that?

Well, there is a product... sold at most drugstores, it is called something
    like "New Skin" it is something you "paint on" an open wound to protect it
    from dirt and germs. You might call your local Drug Store and talk to the
    Pharamacy and see if they carry such a product.

5. chickenscott

chickenscott Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Pacific NW
    My Coop
    Not to be a nah-sayer…I would be cautious with the “new skin”. It has a lot of alcohol or iodine in it and it STINGS when applied. I have put it on my fingers in the past and it hurts for a minute or two. Look for something that is not so painful. I agree with calling the pharmacy and discussing. [​IMG]

6. feathers_3

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I have actually used that on myself before and didn't even think about it! Thanks for the advice [​IMG]

7. feathers_3

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I've got some anti-septic spray with pain reliever in it. Could I use that on her? I also have some wound cleaner for dogs...would that be good to use when I clean her up again?

8. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    So... how is she doing today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by