Terrified hen??!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mattsiewrt94, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Alright so I have a flock of 8 and 2 are roosters... I have been trying to sell him or just give him away but no one will take I don't know what to do with it and one of my RIR hens will not leave the coop when she comes out the underdog rooster chases her to mate then my roosters start fight I try to keep them seperate but I have one coop!! And they free range all day. I don't know what to do she's not coughing or nothing like that and she lets me hold her which she never did so idk I need this rooster gone

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Morning! You could do a post on Craigslist and get a bit of money for that Roo. Sometimes the people at he feed/farm/ranch store know of someone that is looking for a Roo. The stores we have around here allow postings on the Bulletin board or a small section on their web site for people looking for or selling/getting rid of livestock.

Once the Roo leaves you, you don't know what the people really want it for so best thing is don't ask. If you were close I'd take him looking for one for my hens.

3. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Where are you located?? And I have him on craiglist it's been 1 week now and no reply I just don't want him to kill my hen I do like him his coloring and I like having two rooster I just don't know how to make it work.. Would it help if I got more hens slowly. Just keep adding more to the flock where it will at least give him a variety and not wanna always go for that one hen

4. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    I'm in central Washington state. You could add more hens it may help to give both roos their own harems. I have read on here 12 hens per roo seems the right balance, but that is debateable too.

Yesterday I found a Buff Orpington roo same age as my girls, he is in seclusion with the hen ( don't know what she is) that they threw in so he wouldn't be lonely while seperated from my flock.

Hope you find him a home or get it worked out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by