terrified hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kara, Aug 13, 2008.

1. kara

kara New Egg

Aug 13, 2008
    I have 2 hens that are justifiably terrified of the 2 roos. They won't come off the roost to eat. If the Roos see them on the ground they attack often 2 roos on one hen. It's not like the usual mating and bossy behavior the roos show the other hens. They are 19 weeks old. What is going on? What should I do?

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:How many hens do you have ?

1 ROOS is all that is required .

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

One roo would be too many for 2 hens. No wonder they're terrified, you've set the roos up to compete over too few hens. Segregation, for now, would be my suggestion. Your hens are probably deteriorating fast...

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    OK . you said 2 hens were terrfied . DOES that mean thats all you have ?

IF you have ONLY 2 pullets/hens , GET rid of the roosters

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:The roosters will continue to mate the hens in order to try to assert their authority over each other. Your hens may end up -- seriously -- being "gang-raped" to death.

I would highly suggest separating the males from the females immediately.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Seperate at least one of the roo's away from the hens, even if you have to rehome him.

Or you could just buy about 18 more hens. [​IMG]

7. kara

kara New Egg

Aug 13, 2008
    Sorry, I'm new at this. I guess I should have given more detail. I bought 12 female chicks about 19 weeks ago. 2 turned out to be roos. That leaves me with 10 hens. I have several breeds all raised together but the Roos and the 2 terrified hens as well as 2 other hens are supposed to be Ameracaunas. The roos will jump/bite the others too (mating/bossy stuff), it's just these two hens that aren't allowed to get to the treats. I thought for a minute that the roos had killed one last night. They both ran her down. She dove into some logs and burried her head. When I picked her up she was limp. She seems Ok now.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    At this point I think I'd seperate both roo's from the hens and observe their behavior to see if they calm down.

9. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I have a one rooster and he has decided he don't like two of my hens and flogs them any chance he gets. I have never seen this behavior in over 30 years. This rooster doesn't get the chance any more he has been banished from the hens. I had to seperate him because he was serious about inflicting serious injury or even death.

2 roosters in my opinion are too many for 10 hens. Remove one rooster and see what happens. If that don't work then I see chicken soup in your future.

10. kara

kara New Egg

Aug 13, 2008
    Thanks for the advice. We gave away one of our roos today:(. We'll see if getting rid of the competition help calm things down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by