Terrified new silkie

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tabithas, Jan 13, 2013.

1. tabithas

tabithas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    I just got a new silkie today. She is four months old, and appears to be healthy. (a tad bit skinny, but not bad). I got her home and took her out of the box used for transport and when I set her down, she acted like she couldn't stand and frantically scooted backwards until she ran into something. I picked her up and put her in the dog crate we are using as temporary housing and she did the same thing...right into a corner. She has sat there and not moved for hours now. She is in with a 6 month old easter egger pullet that was injured and is now on the mend. The EE is a very docile chicken and thus far has not paid much attention to the new silkie. I was told that this silkie has basically never left the brooder she was raised in. Has never been outside and never been away from her hatch mates. Is she just scared? Will she over come this? I have always bought chicken in pairs or threes for this reason. I felt they needed a friend. But this one was the only one being sold and I wanted a friend for my little EE. What can I do for this poor scared girl? I worried about her not eating or drinking. Any suggestions?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Walking backwards sounds like it could be a neurological problem/brain injury. Silkies are prone to it. Vitamins have been given with some success by some on BYC. It can be infection/injury/vitamin deficiency as the cause.

Here:
    http://browneggblueegg.com/Article.html
    crookneck article in left column

also the silkie skull article might help you understand why silkies are prone to injury

Here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck
    long thread

Some use poly vi sol NO iron vitamins, or poultry vitamins from the feed store. Make sure you don't overdose the chicken with vitamins.

I am not sure what is wrong with your chicken - also difficulty standing can be mareks or disease. But walking backwards sure sounds like a neurological silkie problem (yes I know your silkie doesn't have wry neck but silkies can do somersaults, walk in circles, walk backwards and be cured with vitamins sometimes just like they do with wry neck).

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Amen sounds like yet another with"silky syndrome,"

4. tabithas

tabithas Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    I am happy to report that it appears she was just scared out of her poor little mind. Woke up this morning to her walking around totally normally. Eating, drinking, making chicken noises. Still very shy and staying at the back of the pen, but other than being nervous, now acting completely normal!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    what a relief!

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh excellent! [​IMG]

7. gooseville

gooseville Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I am happy to hear that. Our female did the same thing out of the blue one day. She shook her head down on the ground and backed up, then she would be fine for a while. She would start again and it got worse- started wedging herself into places and would get stuck. All of our animals are free range. Unfortunate she somehow (we still don't know how) backed herself into the pond. She did not make it. I miss her. She had a neurological condition, common with silkies. She and Mr. Yetti are pictured here. [​IMG]
    I want a few more white silkies in the spring. I love them! We have 10 geese and 17 chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by