Terrified of the pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Horsefly, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I have two 18 wk pekin girls and have been trying to intigrate them to my pond. I made them a nice duck house with a door for access to the acre large pond. I put them in their new house and they don't want anything to do with the water. Not so much as taking a drink from it! I have to give them a bowl of water so they don't overheat (it's hot out). They use their washtub "pool" and other containers to swim in back in the house so I know they love water. Funny ducks what can you do with them lol.
    *I forgot to add they also despise peas. I got them some special for them and they turned their bills up at them. I even mixed it in with their favorite food, cracked corn, and if they accidently ate a pea they would spit out the outside and shake their heads. They ate every scrap of corn and left the peas. Do I just have weird ducks or what [​IMG]?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Just time. They need to learn and that will take some time. Don't force them.

3. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    With young ducks (well, pretty much all ducks) it takes time to settle in. [​IMG]
    and my muscovy has been despising peas until recently, too [​IMG]
    now she loves em!

4. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    Oh they have all the time they want. I mean if they really don't like the pond they can come live back at the house with me again, right? I'm trying to let them be in the new house and by the pond during the day to get them used to it but it seems they always end up back in their old cage at the house at night. It's hard to let them go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by