Terrified rooster: is there a way to make him friendlier?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by grnidone, Oct 18, 2016.

1. grnidone

grnidone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2016
    Russell, Kansas
    My Roo is wonderful. He is kind to my hens and he respects me. Actually, he is scared to death of me such that he runs away screaming from me if I get too close. (He makes that bak GAWK sound.)

While I'm glad he knows me as the head Roo, I wish he weren't SO scared o me. He wears a no-crow collar and I need to be able to check it so it isn't too tight. (He is young and still growing.)

Is there a way make him less afraid of me?

2. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Try acting very calmly around him, and make no sudden movements. Overtime he will learn to trust you and know that you're not a threat. Also feeding him treats (from a distance at first) will help him associate you with positive things.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Don't be in a hurry to have him too friendly. Most chickens are a bit more skiddish during their first year, but by the second aren't as reactive to your presence, and many will come running to see what you have. Give him time, Chase him down when necessary, and toss treats and scratch towards him daily and eventually he won't be so frightened, but you should always expect a rooster to move away from you and keep a minimum of a 5 foot distance as a show he respects you.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

My advise is keep him scared...an over confident Rooster could attack you? I never befriend my Roos....He is fine on the sidelines...He knows your in charge and not him...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by