territorial ducks attacking dogs

mattyb144

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 31, 2011
I have a pair of rouen ducks. 1 boy 1 girl.whenever I let my dogs outside the ducks chase them and bite their butts. what do i do.

Quote:
My Muscovy girls will bite my dogs butts when they walk by them, but they don't chase them. Your dogs must be pretty passive to allow that. The chasing part. I don't think my dogs would allow that. But they know not to retaliate when the ducks nip them. Maybe try to get the dogs and ducks on neutral ground,like if you let them all out in the back put them in the front with supervision and see what happens. the ducks sound like they are being territoral of their space and don't see the dogs as part of it. Good luck. Maybe give treats to everyone when behavior is good. I'm sure others will had delt with this and can help more. Because I give peas to my ducks and a little oatmeal bread, I have to give the same to my dogs. [treats]

Quote:
My Muscovy girls will bite my dogs butts when they walk by them, but they don't chase them. Your dogs must be pretty passive to allow that. The chasing part. I don't think my dogs would allow that. But they know not to retaliate when the ducks nip them. Maybe try to get the dogs and ducks on neutral ground,like if you let them all out in the back put them in the front with supervision and see what happens. the ducks sound like they are being territoral of their space and don't see the dogs as part of it. Good luck. Maybe give treats to everyone when behavior is good. I'm sure others will had delt with this and can help more. Because I give peas to my ducks and a little oatmeal bread, I have to give the same to my dogs. [treats]

but do u have big or small dogs
because i have small caviler king charles spaniels and they dont really defend themselves from predators and we dont know why they dont so what do i do about my ducks

Last edited:
I have small dogs, Shi tzu and a Papillon. My ducks will nip at the dogs if the dogs are close or if they see them as a threat. The dogs don't enjoy going outside if the ducks are loose in the yard but they never much liked going out anyway.
smile.png
Our oldest Shi tzu will go out and sit down in the yard, one of the ducks will try to bully him but Koji just sits there and ignores him. The duck goes away. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are worried that the dogs might retaliate. The ducks aren't going to be able to hurt the dogs. A tug on the tail or ears (my ducks favorite targets) is not a big deal. If it bothers you, you may need to rehome either species. It will continue.

Quote:

but do u have big or small dogs
because i have small caviler king charles spaniels and they dont really defend themselves from predators and we dont know why they dont so what do i do about my ducks

I have 3 mini dachshunds and 1 mixed med. size dog [who thinks shes a dachshund]. They will pretty much tolerate the ducks, but they all hate the goose. we also have a duckling living in our house who thinks shes a puppy, and the dogs have had to adjust to that. I Never leave any of them alone together. It's just something that your going to have to work on if you want the dogs be out at the same time, or pen your ducks up when the dogs are out. We have fences so when we're not here the dogs and ducks aren't together. but when I am home which is most of the time, I just open the gate and let them all mingle. The ducks also pop the chickens on the butt
hmm.png

Ok I haven't had any experiance with "duck training" but I've trained dogs for ten years. The ducks can't really hurt the dogs so if possible and the behavior isn't causing a phobia in your dog then leave it alone. It may not always be comfortable to watch but that's how they work out their own "pecking order". If a phobia is starting with your dogs and they seem increasingly upset then corner a duck in their pen and pick them up( preferably the agressor), leash the dogs and one at a time hold them too until calm from both of them. My guess is that they feel the dogs are a challenge or a threat so DON'T avoid it!!! That will make the dogs fearful and possibly aggressive. Exposure in a managed environment and a calm frame of mind under a calm assertive human is the key. Also try calmly reprimanding the ducks by getting in their space and shooing them off

My ducks are unable to get onto my porch due to the height and this is normally where my dog hangs out. However when they are all hanging out in the yard together, my male duck chases my dog and bites her bottom. My dog doesn't notice though. She's a hound and only driven by scent. Best kids dog ever. She loves when things are jumping on her and I think this is why she doesn't mind the duck.

Back
Top Bottom