1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

territorial female?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by flg8r, Aug 20, 2013.

1. flg8r

flg8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Do they go a little crazy when they start laying eggs? I've been watching for signs of my boys getting aggressive because my ratio is too high (half male/female) but I have a female chasing everyone away from the sand tray. They are 5 weeks old now so I expect them to start laying soon, could this be because she's about to lay an egg for the first time?

She's attacking the males mostly lol. They're all hiding on the other side of the cage from her! It doesn't appear to be too bad or I'd separate her, she just keeps chasing them away from HER sand. The sand tray has been in there over a week and I just keep adding a little sand every day. Oh and they're not crowded, 13 quail to 18sq ft.

2. beakmaster

beakmaster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Panama City, Florida
    She may be disturbed by the males making moves on her constantly or it could be a sand hog. I added a male tuxedo in a cage that had 3 jumbo females in it already and for the first day he was trying to get some loving. By day 3 he was getting beat up so bad by the females, I had to take him out. If you reduce the amount of males to 1 for every 4 or so, it will most likely reduce the friction. Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by