1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Territorial Limits of Roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vtsarahb, Apr 26, 2009.

1. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I'm planning on free-ranging my chickens when they are old enough- I'll have 10 hens and 1 rooster. My neighbors also have about 10 hens and a rooster. There is a decent natural barrier (seasonal wetland with a small bridge) between our properties, but the two groups may come as close as 50 yards from each other.

Will my rooster and the neighbor's rooster want to fight? Their flock never comes over to my yard now, but I'm worried about fights breaking out once my flock goes outside. Any thoughts?

2. vtsarahb

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    anybody?

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    It's a toss up. Wait and see and hope for the best. With everyone being within such close proximity they absolutely hear each other and eventually meet somewhere. All roosters won't fight to the death, so don't worry about that. Many of us have flocks with an alpha roo and lower ranking roos without problems. It will be more like chest poofing and wing flapping and generally establishing boundaries. Someone will come out on top and the other will learn to stay out of they way. That is said assuming that you both have basic barnyard varieties...there are a few breeds that really are fighters so do some research. Don't get in the middle of this when it happens or you could get hurt and it will only delay them from doing what is the most basic of their instincts. They both have enough hens of their own to keep busy so that will help.

4. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I keep on group of hens and a rooster in my barn, about 200 feet from another flock. The roosters sort of hang with their own bunch, but from time to time would meet somewhere in the middle and spar for a bit. I never saw it get bad and they would normally just go back to their respective places.

However one day my rooster from the barn did make himslef very comfortable with the other flock. I did not see the match that was won or lost but there was just a change in status.

I think it is invevitable that they meet at one time or another. I think it is quite likely that it will not be a huge fight because each has his own to territory to protect.

All of that said you could have a real knock down drag out depending on the roosters and how aggresive they are.

If it were me and the neighbor was cool with it all it would not stop me from getting chickens or ranging them.

Good luck

5. vtsarahb

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    Thanks for your advice [​IMG] My rooster is a barred rock (he is not quite 2 weeks old- just a baby!) and my neighbor's is a barred rock cross (I think). I've heard they can be fairly docile... but I guess we'll see what goes down when my little roo grows up. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by