Terry and Jerrie; Austin Texas

TandJ

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
Hi all, Terry and Jerrie here in Buda Texas; just south of "Weird" (Austin Texas). We have been thinking about chickens for over a year now. From reading different post by all the nice members on this website, we were positive we could raise chickens! We now have 5 Black Copper Marans, 1 Legbar / Maran cross, and 1 Blue Breda (straight run). We also have 2 Australorps, 2 Buff Catalanas, 1 Cuckoo Maran, 2 Norwegian Jaerhons, and 2 Welsummers (pullets). We may have started bigger than we should, but we didn't expect the chicks to be so cute. I do not think there will be any regrets. The straight runs are 5 - 6 weeks old and the pullets are 5 weeks old. Been working on a coop (didn't realize how fast they would grow) and they moved into it today. Not finished, but better than their brooder box and a lot roomier.

When we finish with the underpinning and painting, we plan on painting the name on it. What is the name? Is that what was passing through your mind? Well, it is kind of silly but here goes ... Wait for it ... Le Ranch de Pullet ... Being from Texas, how could we pass up naming it "The Chicken Ranch". For those not up on Texas trivia, google The Chicken Ranch, LaGrange Texas. Seems to fit with our intent on raising "French" Marans and the others are mainly for eggs for friends and family. The coup is 8' x 8' and they will have a little more than 1/2 acre to roam and forage.

My wife and I stay really busy so do not be disappointend if we do not logon often. Have a nice evening all.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom