Test driving the new incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by funnybirds, Nov 9, 2010.

1. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Hi,
    We just got the "Little Giant still air incubator" and the corresponding egg turner. (It’s what we could afford.) Wanted to see how this little puppy works so set it up in a draft free zone and placed a couple of non fertile eggs in it to place the thermometer on. So far the turner appears to be working and the incubator also.
    Yay! Wonder if I should run it with water in the reservoir? Will that create a temp change? How about opening the vent holes?
    Hmmm
    Hopefully, I will have the whole device ready for eggs on the 26th.
    This will be my first time hatching.
    I CANNOT WAIT!!!
    Anybody else have the Little Giant?
    Any stories or advice you care to share?
    YAY an INCUBATOR!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Put a little fan in their from a computer, it will greatly enhance the performance! We added a fan on our still one and it really helped!

3. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    You will want to add a hydrometer to the bator for watching your humidity and temp. the thermomiter that comes with the bator should not be trusted. They are know for being inacturate. BTW you are about to be very additted to hatching eggs.....welcome to the club!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:[​IMG] How true! If you find you are addicted, there is a Hatcher's Anonymous thread on the site. Of course there is more enabling going on than support to stop hatching on the thread! [​IMG] Hope your first hatch goes well when you set them!

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Whenever you get a thermometer that's stapled to a card, you want to calibrate it with a known accurate thermometer, digital if you have one. Because the red line is just stuck on there, they're rarely accurate fresh out of the box. Mine from the LG turner was 4 degrees off. The one that came with the Hovabator was off just a smidge.

6. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    i wouldn't run any water at all until day 18 & then run it at about 65%, i do this all the time & have great results.

7. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    Quote:I tried not using water but the humidity drops to about 13-17% when my heater kicks on and that's in South MS so I add water to the small tray in my Hova ans it stays around 35%. What % are you runnung in the incy with no water?

8. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    mine has been as low as 18-20%, i have always done better with no water until day 18, rather than running any water, i lived in AL. most all my life & done the same thing with the same results.

9. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Thanks to all. I notice as I price the “add ons” to this unit, I’m at about what I would have spent on an upper end table top model. *banging head on table*. I priced the fan and it was around 35.00 and I haven't even looked at the hydrometer yet, or a digital thermometer...
    Should have gotten the Brinsea I was drooling over. How do you guys feel about Brinsea? I was thinking about the mini advance model from their website *looking for coupon code*.

I still have time to order...

Hmmmm, will be talking to the hubby when he gets home. [​IMG]

Thanks a lot for your input. I'm test running it again today. Now it’s running a few degrees cooler, but I moved it to a different location. Should I test run this unit with the vent holes open and water in the chambers? Will this increase or decrease temperature accuracy in some fundamental physics theory that eludes me...(who am I kidding?Almost all physics theory’s elude me.)

And yes, I can see where hatching habits would be INCREDIBLY ADDICTIVE. Yikes!!! But what do you guys do with all of the roosters?
    [​IMG]

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by