test hatch 1.0 in the "papa bator" (custom cabinet bator/39 year old family heirloom)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by houdiniduck, Feb 8, 2015.

1. houdiniduck

houdiniduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2014
    Mesa, AZ
    During a family dinner at my grandmother's house talk turned to my crazy chicken lady tendencies. I mentioned that I wanted to get an incubator and I was told there was an incubator in the shed out back that was built by my grandpa. He built it around 1975 or 1976 and it has sat in a shed with a hole in the roof for 28 years or so. Chris and I brought it home, and with a lot of demo work by us and some carpentry by Chris, we restored it. It now lives in my bedroom, where I will use my grandpa's incubator to hatch my own eggs. Even after all the time it spent in the shed, it works perfectly! He was a crazy chicken man, must be where I get it from!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is Papa bator test hatch 1.0
    [​IMG]

2. Sambi89

Sambi89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    St. George, UT
    Wow! That's absolutely amazing. Wish I could find where I get my crazy love for chickens lol. Happy hatching!

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It looks fantastic!

For what its worth, you might want to consider another location for it. When those chicks hatch, they'll peep and peep and peep. And you'll wish you could sleep. When I incubate, my Bator is on the opposite end of the house from our bedroom (house is 1850sq ft). I can still here them in my room...with the door closed!

4. HickoryHollow

HickoryHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Bolivar, Ohio
    That is beautiful! Nice job rescuing it. Good luck with your first hatch....it is really special you can use your Grandpa's incubator!

5. houdiniduck

Jun 17, 2014
    Mesa, AZ
    We have a small, old house and the only places where the temps don't fluctuate terribly are the office and my bedroom. I know they will peep and peep but I can't put it in the office with the other bator because the rotten, horrible, no good dog will pee on it. Bad dog. I am beyond excited for this hatch! I love having this piece of my history.

6. houdiniduck

Jun 17, 2014
    Mesa, AZ
    Test hatch goes on lock down today! Looks like I have 8 viable eggs and 5 questionable or clear eggs. They will all stay until after hatch date since these guys are really hard to see into. YAY MOAR CHICKENS!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by