1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Test hatch on lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MargaretAnneHK, Aug 22, 2013.

1. MargaretAnneHK

MargaretAnneHK Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    It's been a couple years since I have done any incubating. I sold all my incubators and was determined I was DONE.
    LOL, well...not so! :)
    Right now I have a styrofoam incubator (have had good luck with these in the past. Each one has been kind of trial and error but once you get the quirks of your particular incubator figured out, it's really not that difficult!) with 18 Buff Brahma eggs supposed to hatch tomorrow.(However mine have sometimes gone a day early or a day or two late.)
    I didn't think I would be on pins and needles, having done this before, but I have been second guessing myself like CRAZY!!!!! Probably since it is a first hatch with a new incubator or maybe I am just paranoid.:)

2. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    i second guess myself every hatch!You think after a while youd get over it but i dont think you do.Always later have some regret either on incubating or on a chick! GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!

3. MargaretAnneHK

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    Thank you!! I had my eye on some eggs I wanted to try after this but I might have to do one or two more test hatches,lol. It will depend on what happens over the next few days.

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have been hatching since jan. I don't think I have slept straight through one night.

5. MargaretAnneHK

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    I hear ya!! During this incubation period I was constantly up and checking the incubator temps and humidity. I tried dry hatching this time which I had never done before.
    AND!!!! I looked in the incubator, I have my first pip!! Whoohoo!! I guess I didn't forget how to incubate after all,lol. :)

6. MargaretAnneHK

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    Well, three pipping so far and I even heard a little peep. This is one of my favorite parts of having chickens, that's for sure.:)

7. MargaretAnneHK

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    Two little buff brahmas hatched and more pipped! :)

8. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have 5 more days to go.

9. MargaretAnneHK

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    Well, best of luck with your hatch! :) [​IMG]
    I have four out now. I expect at least one other to hatch, maybe more? I am just happy with what I have anything else will be a bonus.:)

10. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    candled all 13 have veins near the top of air cell rest of egg dark. (day 16) air cell right position. my lock down will be keeping the lid closed.[​IMG]. these are mystery chicks from a neighbor and a vet's fridge.. I am hoping to get a couple of gray onesthe neighbor had a pretty gray hen., but I would be happy with one. I am also hoping for a naked neck. (from the vet.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by