Tested my patience, BUT they finally got it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigoakhunter, Sep 29, 2010.

1. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    My BC Marans have not learned to use the roost. They are 18 weeks old. I blocked off nestboxes and they just kept huddling on the floor. So i thought to my self, time for plan B. Went out at dark to close coop up and lifted each one up to the roost. Night 2, all on floor again. Repeat lifting them to roost. This goes on for the same way for 4 nights. Most of my other breeds either learned to roost on their own or only needed help one or two nights. So my patience is starting to wear a little thin. [​IMG]

Night 5, I go out and 2 birds are on the roost. Lift rest up.

Night 6, go out and 4 birds are on the roost. Lift rest up. ( Thinking to myself, they are finally getting this)

Night 7, go out and ALL , yes I did say ALL of them are on roost. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Whew! Let's see what tonight brings.

2. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Hooray![​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Kudos to you for persistence. They are much better off learning to roost at a young age. I have 3 y.o hens that never learned to roost and continue to refuse to do so. They get so messy when they don't roost. Their back sides get all poopy and it is unsightly.

Good work.

4. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Mine are 18 weeks old too and just don't get it. I stopped bothering moving them and I hope they just pick it up on their own!

5. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    [​IMG] yay!!
    I am getting some marans in a few weeks, I hope they know how to roost lol, or I will be having to do what you have been doin!!

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Good job! [​IMG]

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I don't see the big deal of birds roosting. As long as they stay out of the nest at night. I have 1 hen who can't roost and she just sits on the floor below the others.

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:That was my problem..a few of mine would want to nest in, or over the nest boxes. Oh no you don't! I was doing the same thing the first one that posted did..went out when it was dark enough, moved them. They are getting the hang of it now. [​IMG]

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:And I'll bet she is a mess as a result. They poop while they are sleeping and if it can't drop away like it does when they are roosting, it gets all stuck to their backsides. I have 5 hens that won't roost. I either have to keep them bathed, or keep their butt feathers all trimmed or look at a disgusting mess every time they walk away from me. It's gross!

10. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    My flock didn't want to roost either at first, but now most of them prefer the rafters to the lovely roost I built for them [​IMG] At least the Cochins use it since they can't fly that high!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by