testing flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MysteryGirl16, May 6, 2011.

1. MysteryGirl16

MysteryGirl16 New Egg

May 6, 2011
    i was thinking about taking my chickens to a show/swap meet in illinois..i already live in illinois....i was wondering how do i go about getting my chickens tested..they are a year old and we have been eating the eggs since they started laying.....i have never had them tested before but for me to be able to take them to the show i need to get them tested...it said to have them tested specifically for pullorum typhoid...who do i take them to? how much will it cost per chicken?(i have 8 that are a year old and 7 that are 1 week old) PLEASE HELP!!!!!

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Call your State Vet's office. They will have an NPIP tester that will come out to your place and test all your birds. They will also let you know cost, it's usually not too expensive. This will give you NPIP certification, so you can also ship chicks/eggs out of state if you wish [​IMG].

Or, call the show secretary. They often will have testers there that can test them for you when you get to the show and then you just have to pay the per bird fee. Explain to them you only have a few birds and this is your first show and you're not sure if you'd want to show outside your state, so would like to keep your cost low. Usually the show secretaries are very helpful to newcomers.

No worries [​IMG] It will be alright!

3. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by