Testing Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyNameIs86, Feb 1, 2013.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    So I woke up and set up my incubator. I just got it at 100 degrees for an hour. it reads 103 but it really is at 100 because it is 3 degree's off. But i also have both red stoppers in. Should 1 of them be out for testing? I also don't have water in it cuz it was only a test of the incubator.

I don't have a hygrometer for the humidity but i didn't have one the last time...

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I never close the vents. Although mine is a forced air, i just want to make sure the eggs and developing chicks have fresh air to breathe.

Whe I test it I want the incubator in the condition it will be in when I'm using it. That means vents out and water in for me.

3. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have a hovabator 1602. after i read this i put water in the trough 1 and uncovered 1 vent...
    so far it has been staying pretty much at 103 which really 100 since it is 3 points off.
    i am hoping to get eggs either tomorrow or monday the latest... not sure if the farm needs 24 hrs notice to get just eggs cuz i know they said to let them know 24 hrs in advance to get the equipment ready.

4. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    So I had the incubator on all day and all night and noticed that the light did not go off... But the temperature inside did not go up either.
    When I went to see it like 10-20 minutes ago I decided to move it down a tiny notch and finally it went off.

is this good or bad that the light was on all night?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by