1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Testing the auto turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trifecta, Aug 31, 2016.

1. trifecta

trifecta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    I am working with one of those cheap chinese incubators. Does anyone have any good suggestions on testing the auto egg turner? I'm not convinced its working.

The incubator holds 48 eggs, but I will only be setting 8. I'm considering propping the corner with a book and swapping sides a few times a day to be sure that they are getting turned correctly (ie, while leaving the eggs in the turner).

Thoughts or suggestions?

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I suggest marking the eggs. When you first set them make sure all the markings are facing the same way. Check it throughout the day to make sure they are turning. If they stay in the same spot you know it's not working.

You could test it for a day or two with eggs you don't want to hatch just to make sure it's working and then put in your 8 if you don't want to chance testing on them.

3. trifecta

trifecta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    That is an awesome idea, thank you!

I think I will just put them in tonight and watch them throughout the evening. I can always hand turn them if I'm not sure.

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Good luck with your hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by