tetra tint and?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Deviant, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Deviant

Deviant Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    I have 6 Tetra Tint chicks what king of rooster should I get? I want them to grow up together and I would like to get maybe 3 Wyandotte chicks is that good or bad to put them together? What about a Wyandotte roo? the TTs get about 5lbs but the Wyandotte roo gets to be about 8 1/2lbs. too much bird? [​IMG]

2. Deviant

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    anyone know if I can put them two together?

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    That shlouldn't be a problem. I've seen hens handle bigger roosters before.
    It all depends on what you are breeding for.

4. Deviant

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    I want the eggs :) but then if I have some chick I think the feathers should come out right nice

5. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Your tetras are most likely going to be a range of color combinations. Mine are white/cream with black spots to red/tan/brown on white with occasional black spots. I don't have any full-sized roos, just a couple banties that I'm not sure of gender on yet, but mine are also in with 2 mallards & I haven't had any problem with my banties or my younger tetra tints being bullied or anything. I have 2 TT's & 2 Red Stars that are about 6-7 weeks old & 6 TT's that are about 2-3 weeks behind them, the 2 Mallards that started out smaller than my older birds & are now slightly bigger, and the 4 bantums of various breeds that are very close in size to my younger TT's. There are so many different breeds & sizes that I was afraid my smaller chicks would be bullied or killed, but I really haven't had a problem at all. I doubt that a larger roo would be a problem for your TT's. From everything I've seen & read there usually isn't a problem with a different sized roo (bigger or smaller) as the roo will breed with any hen he can catch. You just have to make sure you don't get an overly aggressive roo...and that's with ANY chicken breed or size.

6. Deviant

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    aggressive roo? new not me because his new name will be dinner =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by