1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tetra Tint Feather Sexing at a week old.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cadeschicks, Apr 9, 2012.

1. cadeschicks

cadeschicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    I have 6 tetra tints from tractor supply that are about a week old. I found this "parent stock management guide" from the hatchery via google. It says "Commercial female chickens are showing fast feathering and male chickens slow feathering". Since this document keeps referring to "parent stock" and "commercial tetra tint", I was wondering is this the exact same breed that I would have gotten at TSC and would the sexing info be accurate.

Out of the 6 chicks two have a lot more wing feathers and also some tail feathers, females?. The other 4 have only a few shorter wing feathers and no tail feathers at all yet; are these roosters are just late bloomers?

Has anyone had any experience with the TSC tetra tints that can verify?

[​IMG]

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I wish I could wave my magic wand and tell you, but you'll just have to wait a few weeks. I know, I know, the suspense is a killer......................

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Many of the chicks TSC gets in my area are fast feathering so pullets will feather out faster.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    That holds true IF they hatched on the same day or within a 48 hour period at most. We all know how much difference there is in a day old chick and a 3 day old chick. There is a very limited list of chicks that can be feather-sexed. The feather-sexing must be done just as the feathers are breaking through the tip of the feather casing. The chicks in your pictures are too old for feather-sexing. I have not seen Tetra Tints on the feather-sexing list but I'll check again.
    http://www.thai-farm.com/feather-sexing-chickens/

OK... More searching reveals that the Tetra tint is so named because there are 4 varieties of the Tetra. I have found that the Tetra Amber is feather-sexable which may indicate that they all are, I'm not sure, but read on...

http://www.tetraamericana.com/products/

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by