Tetra Tint - Had bad cut on foot which healed (externally at least), but still limping - advice ple

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peterssweetie, Dec 9, 2013.

1. peterssweetie

peterssweetie New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    Help! One of our chickens had a bad cut on her leg which we tried to clean (with soap and water and then put on antibiotic ointment) and wrap, but she took the bandaging off. It continued to bleed for quite some time - it was pretty bad and swollen. The cut has healed but is still swollen - seems like there might be a possible infection there. Is it possible to have healed outwardly but infection internally? She's still limping and I feel terrible for her. We don't have the extra $ to take her to the vet - I need advice as to how to treat and help her, please!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She may still have an infection in the foot. If possible, get some Penicillin from a feed store or livestock supply store. It shouldn't cost more than 15 dollars (I've bought it for 9 dollars before). Penicillin may be able to get rid of the infection. To give it, you'll need needles and syringes too, though, so that will add on to the cost.

3. peterssweetie

peterssweetie New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    Thank you so much!! I appreciate your help immensely!

4. peterssweetie

peterssweetie New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    So I gave the chicken short-acting Penicillin G injections for 7 days - her foot looks much better (I also soaked it in Hydrogen Peroxide, so that may have made it look better), but the leg is still hot/warm and she is still not baring much weight on it. Can I continue to give Penicillin or do I have to cut it open? Or both? Advice would be extremely helpful! Thanks!

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Is it possible that she sustained a fracture to leg?

6. peterssweetie

peterssweetie New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    I guess anything is possible. What do you suggest? Should I splint it? Do you think she'll be ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by