Tetra Tint Hens or Roos Thanks Tractor Supply!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ldrumm, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ldrumm

ldrumm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Birmingham, Alabama
    We have 12 tetra tints from Tractor Supply. We were told that they were hens, but we also purchased a golden comet hen from them which began cocka-doodle-dooing a few days ago. Our tetra tints do not all look the same, and we are worried that we have more roos. We cannot keep the roos, and are very upset. Can someone please help us decide if we have hens or roos? There is NO information about the tetra tints that is helpful. We are new to the chicken world, and are patiently waiting on eggs. They are 4 months old. Here are some pics:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Their bodies all look the same to me, and feathers too. But the (I think) combs and waddles??? are different. Some are very large and red, and some are small and pink. Thank you!!!!

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    16 weeks old.. those look like girls to me. I think tetra tints are leghorn crosses, IIRC, and they look very much like my leghorn females at 16 weeks. You'll know for sure in a few weeks with those [​IMG].

3. ldrumm

May 15, 2011
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Thank you so much. So, the fact that the last picture and the middle picture chickens look so different, but are still all hens? In a few weeks what will happen that will be the deciding factor?

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    They look like girls to me. I love the 2nd picture of the two just mirrored on each other like there is a mirror next to one. [​IMG]

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:If those are girls, they are so red I'd bet they would lay eggs soon. Right before hens start laying, combs and wattles get bigger and redder. Some birds mature faster than others. My leghorns started laying just after 16 weeks and I am pretty sure tetratints are leghorn crosses.

6. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    All the chickens in the pics look like hens to me as well. I would guess that you can expect eggs pretty soon too, their combs are super bright red. How are they temperment wise? I almost got a few but was worried they would be flighty..

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Leghorn girl - look how big and floppy those combs get! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are any of yours 'squatting' for you yet?

8. ldrumm

May 15, 2011
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Thank you so much. Some one gave us two Ameraucana chicks, which are about 12 weeks old. The tetras are very mean, and are not getting used to them no matter what we do. We keep them separate, and try to let them get used to each other in spurts, but the tetras are not very nice. They also seem to pick at each other at times. We are so tired of the separation, and want them all to get along. It doesn't seem to be working, though. One chick even came up with a boo boo recently. I appreciate all of the answers! My children are so excited. We thought we had more roosters than hens, and were going to have to give them away!

9. ThompsonFunnyFarm12

ThompsonFunnyFarm12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I also bought TTs from TSC. I love mine! They started laying before they were 16 weeks old (15 actually) an the eggs have been HUGE. I don't know if it has to do with the breed or the fact that we give them lots of love and organic feed. Anywho, when the started laying they all had mid-sized pinkish combs and now (at 20 weeks) they're combs are BRIGHT red and HUGE! They are so floppy and cute! I would have been as concerned as you are about them being Roos but I know they are ALL laying! I think your pics look like pullets, but the ones with black spots look more like Califoria Whites to me...? Tax might have mixed up the bins. My tts all look kind different some have splashes of cream an really light brown but none of them have any black in their plumage. Oh and I forgot to mention that some of my trs lay bright white eggs, some lay cream, and some lay brown! It's like a surprise!

10. ldrumm

May 15, 2011
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I think that the one chicken with the black spot actually got under my car!![​IMG] Thank you so much for all of the wonderful responses! We are new to all of this, but love it!! Everyone on BYC is so smart!! Very helpful information today. Looks like we are in for some good egg recipes soon!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by