1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tetracycline for dog?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by snowflake, Nov 1, 2010.

1. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I have Tetra. for my chickens. My dog has an ear infection, in the ear things don't seem to be working thought I would try some tetra. she is a 50lb. lab mix any one know how much and can I sprinkle in food? We have 2 dogs and a cat. cat is outside most of the time, other dog is bigger so if I put 1T. in drinking water (per gallon) that would also prob. work but don't know how much each dog would get. Have to go to work now be back about 6pm

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Tetracycline won't do anything for an ear infection in a dog. In fact, if the infection is a yeast infection like most ear infections I've seen any antibiotic will make it worse as the antibiotics will kill off competing bacteria and select for yeast. What "in the ear things" have you tried, and have you checked the expiration date on them?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Changing feed to a non-grain product may help. Best to have the ear cultured by a vet and get the appropriate medications. Ear problems can be difficult to resolve. "Over the counter" products don't do much good unless the problem is ear mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by