Tetracycline for Pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mikey D, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    I bought two silkie / cochin crosses at the poultry show last night.

When I mentioned Bio security to the breeder she asked if I was having any problems - I told her no other than pasty butt.

She immediately told me to give all of them tetracycline for 14 days (don't skip any & complete the full treatment)

I asked her if she was implying that pasty butt was a bacteriological issue and she said yes!

The chicks are not stressed (that I can see), the temp in the brooder is correct (by thermometer and behavior), the chicks are on organic chick starter and I cannot figure why this batch as pasty butt.

I've been raising the flock on organic and am usually opposed to medicine for medicine's sake but I purchased a bag of Duramycin-10 today and was thinking of starting them (just the chicks - 1 - 3 week olds) on it tomorrow. I'm not selling eggs or meat so no worries there. I am just wondering if anyone has heard of this before (being bacteriological) and if anyone has tried this treatment.

Also, if you do recommend it, how much (in fractional teaspoons if possible) should I put in a quart of water. The breeder recommended get to a yellow Gatorade color.

Thanks in advance peeps!

Mikey

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Whenever my chicks have had pasty butt...I just clean it off with water. I have never had to use a medicine to stop pasty butt. I have had to use vitamin/electrolyte for the first week to help some out and it seems to help the recurring pasty butts more quickly.
    I have never had pasty butt on the chicks hatched here...only on chicks I have had shipped or purchased from the local TSC.
    Hope all is well for you :)

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've used chic saver in their water. I really like avian charge better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by