Tetracycline hydrochloride powder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rnoyster, Feb 20, 2009.

1. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    Hey all..........I have some new biddies and am trying to figure out how much tetracycline hydrochloride powder to add to their water. I have a 1 gallon waterer and if my math is correct, I should put in about 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Can anyone tell me if this is/isn't correct?
    Thanks for your help!
    Dick

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Are they sick?

3. rnoyster

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    No they aren't sick, I was told to use this powder in their water for the first 14 days as a preventative. Is that correct?

4. when I got mine, is when i joined this forum and the lady that answered me back said 1 teaspoon to a gallon of water for 10 to 12 days straight. as I took them out of the box i stuck their beeks in the water and have never lost one. good luck marrie

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I suppose it's a personal choice, but I would worry that giving a healthy bird antibiotics would cause resistance to the antibiotic. Don't forget that there is normally a withdrawal period before using the eggs.

6. rnoyster

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    That is what I was told. I made up a batch with 1/2 teaspoon to a gallon of water and put it in the brooder, they all went right to it, got a drink and then hit the buffet line! lol! 12 little cornish rocks.

7. rnoyster

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    They are about 3-4 days old now. I was told to give it to them, fresh every day for 14 days then stop.

8. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    I would not give them antibiotics unless they were sick.

If you already have chickens, then quarantine the new chickens so that they have no contact with the old chickens. Watch for any sign of illness. I quarantine any new birds that come to my farm for 6-8 weeks.

Giving antibiotics to animals that aren't sick can lead to antibiotic resistance. In other words, the bad "bugs" become immune to it. So, if at some point you really do need it, it might not work as well for you.

Who told you to use it as a preventative? The person you got the birds from?

Edited to add: did the person you got them from think they might have been sick? Confused about this recommendation...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  9. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Quote:This is the right dosage... but as others have said giving anti's when they are not sick could be a bad thing. It tend to work less for them the more it is used. But I also have never had this breed so... hope the dosing helps. Happy growing

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I have read articles that say that commercial producers give antibiotics because it has the side effect of excelerated growth in the animals. Isn't getting away from the factory practices the reason we raise our own?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by