tetramycin

griddles

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Northern Wisconsin
Can someone tell me about tetramycin? I had my birds on it as a precaution....long story. But about 4 days ago my son dropped one of our mallard ducklings- about 5 weeks old now. She fell about 3 feet into her pond....not gracefully either. Since then she seems to have less energy, and breaths funny. She is slightly better today, and she easts and drinks on her own. My question is could she have asperated water and now getting pneumonia? Even if she is still on the tetramycin? What are her chances of survival? She has been sooooo babied by everyone which makes this worse because we have become very attached these last few days. I let them all in the big pond last night and they all played, she just rested more than the others. I'm looking for a little hope- the kids are so sad, especially the one who accidentally dropped her. Also, can you give ducks sugar water for a pick me up like with chicks. Thank you so much.
sad.png

Yeah, she could have pneumonia, or it could be some other kind of injury. Dont know what dosage you're using with the terramycin, but the directions on the container are the weakest dosage. Try 4 tsp per gallon for a few days, i; see if the duckling improves. There are stronger antibiotics than that, too, but not sure what you would use for pneumonia. Start with the stronger dosage, if you haven't been using that already, and see if it helps. If not, you might try the chicken doctor's site at
www.firststatevetsupply.com. He's not a vet, but sometimes has good advice, and he can supply you with what you need.

Cool. I was doing 1 tsp to every gallon. I will increase the dose. I have 1 week old ducklings with them, will it hurt them or should i seperate her?
Can I give her sugar water? How much? Thanks:/

You can give everyone the dosage and it won't hurt them; if that's the easiest way to do it it's ok. They do develop a sort of tolerance to it if you use it too much, or if you use a lower dose for too long. I have never given any of ours sugar water; I think I'd opt for vitamins and electrolytes, in the water, or turmeric in the food; turmeric is a sort of immune system booster; you only need to use a pinch or so, and can get that from the chicken doctor too. I always thought sugar water was more for shock or traumatic injury.

Back
Top Bottom