Tetris Stacking for octagon 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ramblin Rooster, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Hello Y'all!
    I am going to be getting an octagon 20, and have read a lot about "tetris stacking" [​IMG] and was wondering if it would work well for an octagon 20 since the whole thing tilts. If anyone does it with another bator or something, let me know too! Pictures would be awesome if you have some.

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    [​IMG] Curious as to what this is since I have an octagon 20 eco.

3. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    I think for a non-autoturn it would be fine, my only concern is whether or not they would be turned enough when stacked.

4. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I know someone who has stacked their eggs in a brinsea octagon 20. I'm not sure if she turned them by hand or turned the entire incubator. I use to have one of those incubators and would worry the top eggs would roll off when you turned it? I've never had to stack them though, but I do know it doesn't really affect hatch rates, particularly in the octagon, from what I gathered. Plus as you candle, you may be able to weed out the infertiles and quitters and clear up some space in the incubator as incubation goes on. Only one way to know, is to try it! I wouldn't worry about it affecting the hatch rates. More so if the top eggs can stay still as they are turned.

5. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut

I'll figure out something so they dont fall off, but thats a great idea about putting them in others places when they dont evolve. How did you like your brinsea octagon incubator? What were your hatch rates?

6. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I loved my brinsea octagon. I had the eco. It hatched many goose eggs (and ducks and quails) and I had excellent hatch rates with it. I'd highly recommend it. I ended up selling it to get the rcom50 cause I needed more space and found a great deal. I miss that incubator though. I still have my brinsea mini advanced. Love that incubator too!

7. Ramblin Rooster

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut

Okay. Everyone seems to like it. Very good :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by