1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tetroxy HCA 280 and Egg Laying Hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenings4me, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Chickenings4me

Chickenings4me New Egg

Apr 7, 2015
    Tetroxy HCA 280. I am curious, why does it say not to treat chickens producing eggs for human consumption? What is the danger, does anyone know or have an idea? I know that the FDA hasn't approved it, but why?

I have been treating our little flock of 18 chicks for some sort of respiratory issues. They aren't even a month old yet but we eventually intend on eating their eggs. Should I be concerned about using Tetroxy on them? It has only been a few days. This product was recommended by the local feed store. Did I mess up big time by using it, or what? I obviously don't want unsafe eggs.

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

Welcome to BYC! They'll be fine, 'cause the drug will be long gone by the time they reach laying age. :D

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  3. Chickenings4me

Chickenings4me New Egg

Apr 7, 2015
    Thank you for the response, I figured they would be okay but I am still curious as to why the FDA has no official withdrawal date for egg layers.

4. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

Not positive, but I think you'll find that most drugs are labeled that way, even Wazine, yet it's right there on the shelf with chickens supplies at Tractor Supply.

-Kathy

5. Chickenings4me

Chickenings4me New Egg

Apr 7, 2015
    Alrighty. Well at least the eggs will be safe. Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by