Tetroxy HCA.. how soon?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elizafern, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Elizafern

Elizafern Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    Danbury, CT
    Does anyone know how soon after my chicken has been on it for 14 days can I put her back on it?? Or should I try another antibiotic? She is still sneezing up a storm....

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend that you put her on a different antibiotic simply because the tetroxy didnt work. Perhaps tylan 50 injectable would be better. I'm wondering if there are any other symptoms besides sneezing, such as; wheezing, gurgling, runny nostrils, swollen eyes/face, bubbly eyes? If there arnt any other symptoms, you might be dealing with an environmental or fungal problem...in which case no antibiotic will help.

3. Elizafern

Jan 15, 2013
    Danbury, CT
    sometime when she sneezes snort flies from her nose, she has like spit bubbles on her eyes. I do not hear any wheezing or gurgling. cant really tell if her face is swollen, we are new chicken owners.

4. Elizafern

Jan 15, 2013
    Danbury, CT
    snot that is

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It definitely sounds like a respiratory disease. Keep in mind that respiratory diseases are contageous to other birds and can be carried on clothing, shoes, hands etc...practice biosecurity and keep her seperated from other birds.
    I recommend purchasing tylan 50 injectable, it'll be in the cattle section at the feed store. You can administer it orally or by injection. You'll need to purchase a syringe with a needle to withdraw the tylan from the bottle. To administer orally; give her 1/2cc orally once a day for 5 days. If you decide to inject her; inject 1/2cc into her breast muscle just under the skin, once a day for 3 days. Alternate breasts and injection sites when you inject.

6. Elizafern

Jan 15, 2013
    Danbury, CT
    Ok thank you..

7. Elizafern

Jan 15, 2013
    Danbury, CT
    Is it ok to start the tylan since she just stopped the tetroxy on tuesday??

8. Elizafern

Jan 15, 2013
    Danbury, CT
    We just went to our local Agway, they didnt have the Tylan.. Any sugestions??

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  10. Elizafern

Jan 15, 2013
    Danbury, CT
    What about the Tylan 50 Powder?? is that the same??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by