Tevian’s chickens!

Tevian

Chirping
Sep 12, 2022
Just a little thread to post about the chicks (mostly)!
This is my first time hatching chicks. I’ve tried guinea keets before with pretty much zero luck (I think two made it to adulthood in three years of attempts :(). And have raised a few day olds hens before, I was so excited to actually have home hatched chicks this time!

Atm I have two lots, the winter chicks:
38C398A9-BB99-43A9-B12B-AF6D0A0F3712.jpeg

About 3 weeks old now! Australorp, Barred Rock, and Orpington x Barred Rock/Aracuana. They’re such friendly little trouble makers. Personally I can’t wait until they’re feathered enough to move outside. It’s too cold here in Australia at the moment, but the days are heating up so we’re getting closer to moving day. They go outside to a special chick and dog proof pen every day and they love it!

I also now have the spring chicks:
4E013DED-1E00-4FF3-8F28-872F31AA2E98.jpeg

About 4 days old now. Brahma, Barred Rock, and one Orpington (brown face) crossed to my Barred Rock/Aracuana rooster. I have no idea what pattern the Brahma crosses will be. ATM they look to be Colombian marked. Maybe pencilled? Getting to watch their colours change is one of my favourite things.

I now have more chickens related to my rooster than not… oops? He was bought as a hen chick for me as a gift, but he’s a bloke! He’s thankfully very friendly as I hand reared him and another hen, and very polite to his girls. He likes to follow me around and crow at me.
8EE559A7-8D53-454C-B3B2-6ECB6BC75F42.jpeg

He has never had a full thought in his entire life, but his kids are friendly, and he actually has kids. So he’s doing better than my previous roosters.

Just a little thread to post about the chicks (mostly)!
This is my first time hatching chicks. I’ve tried guinea keets before with pretty much zero luck (I think two made it to adulthood in three years of attempts :(). And have raised a few day olds hens before, I was so excited to actually have home hatched chicks this time!

Atm I have two lots, the winter chicks:
View attachment 3258027
About 3 weeks old now! Australorp, Barred Rock, and Orpington x Barred Rock/Aracuana. They’re such friendly little trouble makers. Personally I can’t wait until they’re feathered enough to move outside. It’s too cold here in Australia at the moment, but the days are heating up so we’re getting closer to moving day. They go outside to a special chick and dog proof pen every day and they love it!

I also now have the spring chicks:
View attachment 3258031
About 4 days old now. Brahma, Barred Rock, and one Orpington (brown face) crossed to my Barred Rock/Aracuana rooster. I have no idea what pattern the Brahma crosses will be. ATM they look to be Colombian marked. Maybe pencilled? Getting to watch their colours change is one of my favourite things.

I now have more chickens related to my rooster than not… oops? He was bought as a hen chick for me as a gift, but he’s a bloke! He’s thankfully very friendly as I hand reared him and another hen, and very polite to his girls. He likes to follow me around and crow at me.
View attachment 3258045

He has never had a full thought in his entire life, but his kids are friendly, and he actually has kids. So he’s doing better than my previous roosters.
Very cute! Good luck with all your chicks!

We lost power this morning unexpectedly :/ and the fire went out so the house is quite cold

Babies got a towel over their heat plate and a bottle full of hot water + the blanket over their brooder tub. They were more interested in having breakfast lol

184A6225-E85D-4EC8-BA3C-1922EB94D924.jpeg

And after a whole month of having chickens in the house, my oldest dog, who is deaf, mostly blind, and spends most of her day asleep, finally worked out there’s animals in the house. She completed extraordinary acrobatics for a 13 year old Fox terrier … And got trapped behind the table. That end of the house has now been barricaded off.
My Jack Russell has been excellent as always at only going to chicken land when I’m down there. I only wish her sister was the same. I wish I’d seen the mission impossible attempt to get at the box, but I missed it lmao

Back
Top Bottom