Texas A and M problems

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JeremyS, Feb 23, 2014.

1. JeremyS

JeremyS Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Hi all,

Im new to this site I have been breeding and rescuing Jap quails for three years now so so far so good, It has its ups and downs,
    I currently have a problem with a pair of birds mainly the mail, He seems to have dry yellowish flaky skin and is itching a lot, Is this some sort of skin mite? it seems all over his skin not on the feet or beak.

The two birds are separate from all the others..also the skin seems to look a bit saggy around the eye.
    What treatment should I use.

Thanks

Jezz

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would dust him with some DE or even Sevin dust. Or you can get some permethrin spray from the feed store or where ever they sell parrot supplies. Get the dust down deep to the skin. That is where the bugs like to suck the blood. Blow back the feathers or lightly pull them back. Concentrate around the back of the neck and vent area. Repeat this procedure twice a week for a few weeks. Clean out any bedding you may have in your pens and spray everything down. Any wood needs to be treated too as that is where bugs like to hide.

And make sure to give the birds access to a dusting or dirt tray so they can dust bathe frequently. This keeps the skin in good condition and the bugs away. :)

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh, and welcome to BYC!! :)

4. layinfram

layinfram Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    texas
    Dust baths do wonders and make the birds really happy.

5. JeremyS

JeremyS Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Hi,

Ive ordered some mite spray and D.E. also why im waiting ive sorted a nice dust bath out so will treat them when it arrives should be tomorrow..

Will keep you updated.

Thanks for your help.

Jezz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by