Texas A&M Peepers at 16 days

Discussion in 'Quail' started by backyardcovey, Jun 12, 2011.

1. backyardcovey

backyardcovey Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    KC
    One day remaining till hatch...

BUT WAIT... Is that cripping I hear? [​IMG] Down to the go basement I go.

It was.. [​IMG]

Found two Texas A&M chicks in Little Giant first thing this morning. One poor little chick was malformed. Some of it's insides are not where they should be. [​IMG] There was that 105 degree day. [​IMG]

Brooder light is up fired with temp of 95 degrees plus a few at times. 30% plus protien feed mixed to paste. Added a little water to paste formed. Small mouthed maison jar water is in place without maison jar for now. Marbles in the water as well.

Three healthly Texas A&Ms as of 11:00. About noon moved them to the brooder.

Facebook Video

Photobook

2. I think I'll use your paste-food method myself on my hatch this fall.

Congrats on the birds and your "Country life in the city". [​IMG]

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Wahoo!!!!

4. FleurSlkie

FleurSlkie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    East Coast
    Glad to hear your having some success with your peeps. I have a mixed group of quail 2nd generation hatched and raised with some Texas A@M hidden in the mix somewhere or so I'm told.... still, having raised two generations of em up... still looking for those A@M. My white babies seem to die pretty fast while my lighter beige babies with stripes seem to be a bit stronger. Still, the darker wild colored quail seem to be the strongest and healthiest of them all in my limited experience. I feed my babies hard boiled eggs the first two days and after that I use starter feed mixed with a bit of oatmeal for days 3-4 and that seems to work just fine for me. Nothing special after that though for my little quail peeps. Keep us posted on your little ones. All of mine are mixed breeds so I'll be looking forward to hearing more of your success.

5. backyardcovey

May 22, 2011
    KC
    [​IMG] 5 more peeped and running/rolling about the bator. [​IMG] No sign of bob birds yet. Perhaps they will waiting to be on schedule or maybe they will take more like a bob white time to hatch! Then again this is just the 16th day.

One egg is a rolling and an other peeped a bit.

One in the brooder came a running when I tapped a pen into the plastic lid with the pastie feed.

Might try the hard boiled egg if they do not go for the feeder by tomorrow. White, yellow or both?

Got some go peeping, hatching and clearing the shell video.

Was counting my quail before they hatched but looking better then my estimates for the Little Giant.

Being told that is lunch time. [​IMG]. Guess it is..

If the jumbos are early they may peep tomorrow. So course the Octagon 20 temperature did not jump around like a yo-yo.

6. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Yay!! Congrats on your hatch, and the pending hatch! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It's so exciting!

-Jessa

7. backyardcovey

May 22, 2011
    KC
    Productive day... 12 Texas A&M hatched. Shocked by 45% hatch from the Little Giant even with that 105 degree event.

First bob bird has hatched. If I that high a hatch rate will sure to get a breeding pair. or to try at least. [​IMG]

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    That's pretty good! Congrats!

9. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] Woohoo!!

10. backyardcovey

May 22, 2011
    KC
    23 of 69 so far. Not bad. Will give the eggs a couple more days.

3 Bob Birds
    4 Jumbo Browns
    16 Jumbo Whites / Texans

On the jumbo front one that I'm calling a brown is yellow with brown strips. The whites all seem to have spots.

Seen anything like that before?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by