Texas A&M quail Help *Newbie*

Discussion in 'Quail' started by JoshuaBurke, Aug 16, 2014.

1. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It's okay but I recommend Game bird food

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. JoshuaBurke

JoshuaBurke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2014
    TEXAS A&M QUAIL HELP *NEWBIE*

Hello Friends,

I purchased 2 Texas A&M quails from a breeder.

Q1: When Will my new adult quail start laying eggs?

Q2: How to sex male and female apart?

Q3: What should I feed them?

Q4: Is ultra fine scratch feed okay to feed them?

Q5: What temperature do I need to keep my cage?

Q6: Are Quail eggs good to eat and what is the difference from a chicken egg to a quail egg?

Q7: Will the mother quail sit on her eggs or do I need to put them in a incubator?

Q8: What is the life span of a Texas A&M quail?

Q9: Is it okay to give them veggies and fruit?

Q10: What is a approximate size cage for them? (House for 2)

Thanks for answering my questions in advance!

[​IMG]

2. funsized72

funsized72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    Im a newbie at quails too but I think I can answer some of your questions.
    1. I think when they get comfortable with their cage. A week or so?
    2. You can't visually tell Texas A&M quails apart but you can vent sex them.
    3. I feed mine quail & dove seed I get at my feed store and chick starter.
    4. Sorry I don't know.
    5. I don't regulate the temp of my cage because the weather here is not too hot or cold. I do however keep a clear shower curtain thing over the cage to act as a wind breaker.
    6. I feel like they are the same but apparently quail eggs have only good cholesterol and chickens have good and bad. I don't know this is just what I heard.
    7. They don't sit on their eggs. Just put 16 quail eggs into the incubator! Yay it's my first time[​IMG]!
    8. I think 3 years. But 2 if you plan to make them lay in the winter.
    9. Yes just not avocado. Its suppose to be poisonous
    10. 1 sq foot per bird.

1 person likes this.
  3. JoshuaBurke

JoshuaBurke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2014
    Thank you so much for your time and answers! Have a great day!

[​IMG]

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mirec732 and Quail Jailer like this.
  5. Mirec732

Mirec732 New Egg

Aug 26, 2017
    Slovakia
    well thank you. I will use this on my website as FAQs

6. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Hey there! I'm on my second batch of quail, so I might be able to answer a few of your questions.

Q1: When Will my new adult quail start laying eggs? A1: They usually start around 6-8 weeks.

Q2: How to sex male and female apart? A2: Obvious and easy ways are that roos will crow, females will lay, females will be thinner, and, well, you could vent-sex, but I just usually watch who crows and remember that.

Q3: What should I feed them? A3: How old are they? I would use Starter/Grower at first and use Finisher once they start laying. For me that's the easiest way to tell.

Q4: Is ultra fine scratch feed okay to feed them? A4: Never used this feed, but if it has a sufficient amount of protein, 18-20%, then I think it should be fine.

Q5: What temperature do I need to keep my cage? A5: I didn't really use a thermometer although you really should, but I just based it off of how the chicks felt. If they're huddling right under the light, I would move it a little lower. If they are "hugging" the edges of the brooder, they're too hot, so move the heat lamp higher. You'll know it'll be just right when they wander about the brooder.

Q6: Are Quail eggs good to eat and what is the difference from a chicken egg to a quail egg? A6: Completely fine to eat. I usually just soak them in water for a bit if poop gets on them. I'm pretty sure quail eggs are healthier.

Q7: Will the mother quail sit on her eggs or do I need to put them in a incubator? Q7: Its pretty rare for this type of quail to go broody, so you'll need to incubate them.

Q8: What is the life span of a Texas A&M quail? Q8: I'm not 100% sure, but 5 years maybe depending on living conditions.

Q9: Is it okay to give them veggies and fruit? Q9: Most of the time, yes, but you should just check which veggies are ok and aren't ok to eat.

Q10: What is a approximate size cage for them? Q10: People say 2 sq. ft. pet bird but I give each of mine 6 sq. feet.

Hope This Helps. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by