Texas A&M quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by frog48, Jan 26, 2014.

1. frog48

frog48 New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    I have 60 Texas A&M quail. They have just begun laying. My question is, when I got the original eggs to hatch, they were white. These eggs are speckled. Is that normal?

2. layinfram

layinfram Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    texas
    All my so called texas A&M quail eggs are speckled. Ive never seen em lay pure white eggs.

1 person likes this.
  3. frog48

frog48 New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Thanks for responding. I have raised a lot of jumbo quail. This is my first time with Texas A&M. I purchased 240 eggs, all white. 70 hatched, 60 lived. Never had such a low hatch rate. Glad to know that they should be speckled.

4. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    That's odd that the ones you received were white when the lay speckled. I wonder if whoever sold them to you did some kind of cleaning process or something?

5. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Be glad your are even laying. I cant get an egg

6. frog48

frog48 New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    We keep heat lamps on all of our quail. These are the only ones laying.

7. layinfram

layinfram Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    texas
    I got over 250 eggs this week. I just give them dirt to play in and keep em on heat lamps and there happy laying. Before I had dirt in there and no lamp I might get 5 eggs a week. Keep em warm and happy!

8. idhound

idhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2014
    Saint Anthony, Idaho
    yes they are speckled i would say seller washed eggs before shipping i had one of my eggs get laid by waterer and it washed all the pigment off egg was whitish color i was confused until i washed some for eating and realized the pigment washes off.

9. idhound

Jan 23, 2014
    Saint Anthony, Idaho
    put some light on them they will start laying i run heat lamps here in idaho we are subzero was minus 7 today and getting 50 coturnix eggs day plus bobwhite are laying egg a day only have 2 female bob's mountain quail laid for bout 7 days first of january then they stopped when temps dropped. had old bird guy told me keep light on all night and it will start them laying

10. idhound

Jan 23, 2014
    Saint Anthony, Idaho
    wish i had dirt to give them we have snow and they don't like it as much ground frozen solid here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by