Texas A&M Whites

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TherryChicken, Oct 23, 2013.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    I breed Texas A&M Whites and have taken a liking to the ones with more spots rather than more white. What do you prefer in your Texas A&M Whites? Post pix of yours?

2. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    [​IMG]

3. rivergypsy

rivergypsy Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Central Texas
    Dear Therry, I have just purchased 30 TAM White Coturnix Quail. Plan to put most in the freezer but keep some out for breeding so we always have some going in the freezer. I know nothing about raising quail. Posted on another thread, asking for step by step instructions on how to go about hatching out quail eggs. There hatched August 12 and so far no eggs. All my guail are very gentle, about 6 are solid white, others have black spots somewhere on their heads. I will try to get photos tomorrow if it is not raining. I'm half way between Houston and Dallas, so trying to prepare the rabbit hutches they are in for the cooler weather. I did read however that they do okay in cold weather. Linda.

4. veggiecanner

veggiecanner Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    I raised about 26 Texas A&m's. only a few were all white and they seemed on the small side. So w put them in the freezer ,leaving only spotted ones.
    One thing I learned is no more tham one male per cage , doesn't matter how big the cage. They started fighting at around one month.
    The texas A7M's crow alot less than the brown ones. So they are harder to sex.

5. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I don't have any pics, but I raised a couple of batches. Most had a black dot on their head. Some were all white. They either were, or at least appeared to be much larger than my other colors of coturnix. I will never raise the whites again. I had way too many females prolapse. It was horrific :(

6. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Poor babies! Worst scenario, put a lamp outside with them, it will help them stay warm if you are worried about it. I hatch them just like chicken sept for only 14 days, then lockdown. I also don't put water in till lockdown. I couldn't eat my quail so I keep them as pets and breeding

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by