texas A&M Whte Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by johncv, Mar 27, 2012.

1. johncv

johncv Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    louisiana
    i recently got a few quail but the owner didnt know how old they were. can anyone tell me how to tell the age.

2. DNAatWork

DNAatWork Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Coalville, UT
    You really can't tell the age, like a tree lol :p If they are laying eggs, they are about 2 months old. Perhaps, you may tell by the feathering, if the bird has molted or not, but this still can be inaccurate :/

3. johncv

Feb 20, 2012
    louisiana
    they are not laying eggs but they are mating

4. DNAatWork

DNAatWork Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2011
    Coalville, UT
    are you sure are males and female? (Just asking lol), males can be small, or big. Are they fully feathered?

5. johncv

Feb 20, 2012
    louisiana
    i know 3 of them do the mating call. they dont look like their fully feathered but pretty near to being fully feathered. i know they can lay eggs at 6 weeks so i was asuming they were alittle younger then that.

6. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    There is a way to sex them from male and female. The male have a breeding foam that will come out when you gently squeeze their vent area.

7. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    And a freshly mated hen will foam a little bit when you gently squeeze their vent area...and if not " in season" neither will show foam. The sure fire way to tell, is with patience...it lays an egg, it's a hen, it crows, it a roo.

good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by