1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Texas Chicken Breeders

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by sniper338, Oct 24, 2015.

1. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Who are you?! Whatcha got?!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I don't know whether or not you are interested in purchasing hatchery birds, but if so, Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX, markets a huge number of different breeds and is the nation's largest distributor of chicks. Of course if you are wanting show quality birds, you will need to go with a reputable breeder instead.

3. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Yes sir i know about ideal, i may have to get se from there... but looking for better birds if i can find them, or when i can find them... can always get better birds and grow them out for replacments!!! Hard to find some that i want though... most people that have high quality birds only have special breeds, and not exactly what i want...

4. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    I know from experiance to buy good quality the first time around, way less problems!!

5. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I know what you're facing. I've ordered excellent laying breeds from Ideal on a number of occasions and have been happy the birds and service I have gotten from them, but I was mainly interested in eggs, not SOP standards. :eek:)

6. sniper338

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    You know i dont mind them not exhibition quality at all... but for health reasons, diseases, temperments, quality makes a big difference... certified papers for disease control and all that get up are nice to receive with birds...

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I actually never had any health problems with Ideal's chickens. Of course they were all vaccinated for Marek's and I put Quik Chik or some vitamin and electrolyte equivalent in the chicks' water when I received them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by