Texas didn't have enough chickens so I got some...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pinato, Jun 27, 2016.

1. pinato

pinato Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Cedar Park, Texas
    I have many goals in life. One has come to fruition-owning chickens :) I had no real knowledge of owning chickens until I picked some up at my local feed store. The folks there were super helpful in getting me started. I was told I was buying FEMALE Red Sex Links, Rhode Island Reds and White Barred Rocks for the purpose of egg laying. Now that they're about 3 months old I'm questioning the accuracy of the information but I'm rolling with it. I eventually would like to raise my own meat chickens so if there are roosters in the bunch I guess it won't be all bad.
    I'm always learning and open to input! To all who participate in any of my threads/questions, thank you for your patience and info!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congrats on getting your chicken adventures started :clap I love your avatar by the way, a great pic! If your having concerns about possible boys in your flock you can post some pics in the what breed gender section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
    I'm sure members there will be able to help you out there.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future, be sure to ask any questions. Everyone here to help along the way.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi Pinato;

Glad you have joined BYC. I am raising my first flock too, so we can learn together this year. I find this site to be a great resource; the members have been very helpful when I have asked newbie questions.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Your subject heading is too funny!! [​IMG] Definitely follow the link to our What Breed and Gender section that Yorkshire Coop has provided and post a picture of the "suspect". However some pullets can mature very quickly. I had a tiny chick with big ol comb at 2 weeks of age! Her wattles started to grow and redden and I was SURE she was a he. Nope...she stayed a she. LOL Definitely by 2 or 3 months of age, it is pretty apparent of the sexes.

Great to have you aboard! Make yourself at home here and ask any other questions you may have.

Welcome to our roost! :)

5. pinato

pinato Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Cedar Park, Texas
    Thank you! I love this learning together thing! This site is definitely chalked full of info I wouldn't even think to ask.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you visited the Learning Center, it has answers to questions you don't even have yet.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by