Texas didn't have enough chickens so I got some...

pinato

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
I have many goals in life. One has come to fruition-owning chickens :) I had no real knowledge of owning chickens until I picked some up at my local feed store. The folks there were super helpful in getting me started. I was told I was buying FEMALE Red Sex Links, Rhode Island Reds and White Barred Rocks for the purpose of egg laying. Now that they're about 3 months old I'm questioning the accuracy of the information but I'm rolling with it. I eventually would like to raise my own meat chickens so if there are roosters in the bunch I guess it won't be all bad.
I'm always learning and open to input! To all who participate in any of my threads/questions, thank you for your patience and info!

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congrats on getting your chicken adventures started :clap I love your avatar by the way, a great pic! If your having concerns about possible boys in your flock you can post some pics in the what breed gender section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
I'm sure members there will be able to help you out there.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future, be sure to ask any questions. Everyone here to help along the way.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hi Pinato;

Glad you have joined BYC. I am raising my first flock too, so we can learn together this year. I find this site to be a great resource; the members have been very helpful when I have asked newbie questions.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Your subject heading is too funny!!
gig.gif
Definitely follow the link to our What Breed and Gender section that Yorkshire Coop has provided and post a picture of the "suspect". However some pullets can mature very quickly. I had a tiny chick with big ol comb at 2 weeks of age! Her wattles started to grow and redden and I was SURE she was a he. Nope...she stayed a she. LOL Definitely by 2 or 3 months of age, it is pretty apparent of the sexes.

Great to have you aboard! Make yourself at home here and ask any other questions you may have.

Welcome to our roost! :)

Back
Top Bottom