1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Texas has a new pet goose

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Arwen, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Arwen

Arwen In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Hi. I am the new owner of a goose. It came up to a friend of mine at a local restaurant. I thought it had a broken wing so I decided to take it to the wildlife rehab. I have experience with large pscittacines but knew a wild goose could be problematic. I carefully circled its neck in a loose hold and then scooped it up.

The bird struggled maybe 5 seconds and then just relaxed. Color me surprised. I had a friend drive us home. The goose sat on the floor board with its head under my skirt. Yikes! Goose nibbles are quite startling when you aren't expecting them.

Once I arrived in my apartment, I ensconced said goose in the bathtub with water. It did not seem that pleased. It did drink a bit of water. Then I hit the internet. I looked up photos until I was fairly sure I had two prime candidates--African goose and China Swan Goose. One site mentioned the difference in sounds and the knobs. My best guess is that she is a female China Swan Goose of the brown variety. All I really know is that she is one incredibly sweet bird.

I also learned from a duck-owned friend that leaving her in a tub all night was not good if there was water in it so I drained the tub. She chatted with me while I did that. I examined the wing a bit because I'd also run into something called "angel wing" on the internet.

Because she stretches and flaps and seems to be in no pain, I am fairly sure she has angel wing rather than a broken wing. But, I'm no expert so I am taking her to an avian vet on Monday. We were going this Wednesday but I had to work an early shift so had to reschedule.

Josephine, or that's what I'm calling her, has to have been a pet at some point. She even had an item tied to one ankle. It was not twisted or tangled. It was tied in two neat knots. [​IMG] When I think about someone doing this to her, my blood boils.

I called the Wildlife Rehab people Monday morning. The young lady who answered told me they would take her but since she was a domestic breed, I could keep her or rehome her myself. I opted to pay for a vet to look at her myself so that I could make sure she got a good home.

However, having spent nearly a week with a goose in my bathroom (including the heavy-duty non-stop clean up), I am not sure I want to rehome her. I met the lady from the Goose's Mother many years ago at a Ren Faire. Her Maggie charmed me totally. I have her site on "speed-click" so that I can order Josephine a harness.

Right now I'm so torn. She seems perfectly content to gobble up bowls of veggies and alfalfa pellets (I'm going to the feed store tomorrow to get poultry non-medicated 18% protein, right?). I am happy to work with her to get her used to a harness/diaper to be an indoor pet.

She tries to follow me if I leave the bathroom but right now can't because I have carpet in my apartment. Once I have that harness I plan to give her free rein (once I'm sure I've goose-proofed) and take her for walks.

Am I bonkers? Should I let her go to a place where she can be outside? I worry that she is so imprinted on humans that she doesn't know how to be a goose. Crazy?

Oh, I'm in Central Texas.

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hello, Arwen! Nice to make your acquaintance. It sounds like you've really given a major effort to care for "Josephine". I don't have geese, although if my husband wouldn't have a major coronary event, I'd love to [​IMG] but I am not sure how well a goose would adapt to being an indoor pet. I'm not sure if that would be fair to you OR to the goose. Would s/he have access to grass and water, such as a nearby park, or a kiddie pool in the yard? Do you own your own home, or would neighbors be an issue? It's a lot to consider. Whatever you decide, I wish you and Ms. Josephine the best! By the way, [​IMG]

3. cterbizan

cterbizan Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] from GA don't worry your not bonkers, around here there is a bunch of things we do that some may think we are nuts but we don't care as long as our pets are happy!!! [​IMG]

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I have no answer for you, I am sorry. There are a lot of people here who have pet ducks and chickens in their homes. Try moving your post over to the ducks and geese thread.
    If it feels right, and you do not have reservations, give it a try. I do not know how much exercise they need, or if they need a flock to be with. The geese people will know. Good luck!
    And, Welcome to BYC!

5. Arwen

Arwen In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Quote:So far so good on the neighbors. No one has said a word about the occasional honk or three (Josephine says goodnight when I shut the light out and shut the door.)

From what I've read, these are one of the more common geese that do become housepets. But I want to do what's right for her in the long run. That's more important to me. She gets a bath tub full every night and has fresh water for drinking (changed three times a day currently because I live close enough that I come home for lunch every day.)

Grass would be one of the reasons for regular walks.

6. Arwen

Arwen In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Quote:Grin. I've always been one of "those" people who is accused of being kinder to my pets than humans. I'm happy to be thought nuts if that's a crazy thing to do!

7. Arwen

Arwen In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Quote:Whoops. I thought I should post it in the introductions area. Is it okay to repost it where the geese are? I've been reading those threads all day! [​IMG]

8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    No, this was fine! You introduced yourself! Howdy! [​IMG]
    I was just thinking that the geese people may see your post if you write your question there. Not everyone reads the new intros. I don't read the geese threads [​IMG]
    Don't copy and paste though, they don't like double posts.
    Just write down a bunch of questions and see who has good ideas for you.
    This is a fantastic site. You will make friends and good contacts here!

9. Arwen

Arwen In the Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Quote:Whew! I'm forum-friendly but goose-new. [​IMG] However, Josephine is already twittering and has a 4 yr old who makes her grandmother read the tweets to her.

I will carve my intro post into questions for the Goose folk. Thanks so much.

10. homeycow

homeycow In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    North Texas
    Hey, Arwen,

I do have a goose (and had her mate until a couple years ago), but I can't tell you a thing about keeping one in the house. I simply wanted to say that from reading your initial post, it is clear that you are a very loving, caring person who wants to do the right thing for this goose. If you end up keeping Josephine (and I'm secretly hoping you are able to!), she wil be one very lucky goose!

Best of luck in making your decision, from another crazy, weird-pet-owning Texan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by