Texas Heat !

Terry Scott

Chirping
Jul 14, 2022
Hi folks,
I had an earlier post under health and emergencies and have an update: the chick has fully recovered and again thank eggcessive and sourland for their advice.
So now the chicks are 7 - 8 weeks old, (bielefelders), and growing fast. They currently reside in a standard tub in an unfinished air conditioned bathroom. I have been taking them (5) out to their pen area daily for acclimation. It is shady in areas with usually a small breeze for at least 1/2 of the day but has been running into 100 degrees by noon, (N Texas). I usually sit in the shade watching them and bring them in when they appear hot or panting. They don’t seem to be in distress and have water but I don’t know chicken behavior well enough to know what heat degree is too much, especially at 8 weeks. They are big enough to not be able to escape their pen, their coop has ventilation and I had planned to put them out permanently at 8-10 weeks. How hot is too hot for young chicks?

Terry

Also... I think you might be making it harder for them to get used to the heat by taking them in and out.
If your Coop is secure then I highly recommend you put them out and leave them so they can get used to the heat.

Is it an open air style coop?
Do you have pictures of it?

Here’s the pic.

Attachments

• 9E152D1D-12CF-4704-A772-CCC1E613C836.jpeg
    9E152D1D-12CF-4704-A772-CCC1E613C836.jpeg
    935.6 KB · Views: 12
The coop might be a problem for our weather.

Is there any more ventilation besides those two windows and do those two windows actually open?
Yes the windows open and I have electricity inside for fans or heat lamp in winter. There is the chicken entry door on the right and the large entry door on the left that could be left open during the hot days. Don’t forget, it gets very cold up here in the panhandle with strong winds.

Back
Top Bottom