Texas Heat

Missbehavin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Texas
Hello,
I don't have any chickens yet but plan on getting some in about a month. What do you recommend for the Texas Heat. Winters are mild and if not I will be able to take care of the cold issue, however the heat is the problem. These birds will be in the shade almost 100% of the time. Question is What breed of bird would you recommend. They will be used for eggs/pets only.
Thanks
Debbie

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

Any of the Mediterranean breeds would do well. They are usually slender birds and will lay lots of eggs in the heat. However, they tend to be flightier, so they may not be the best for pets. I have Leghorns and they are quite friendly and lay pretty much an egg a day. Good luck with your new adventure!
yippiechickie.gif

Hey Debbie, I live in the Austin/San Marcos area and I use Delawares and Easter Eggers for my eggs, and they are big enough that if you have to eat them you can.
smile.png
Even through the 100+ degree days they lay anywhere from 4-6 eggs a week. And when it cools off just a bit they'll be back to laying 1 a day period.

And my Delawares started laying eggs when they were about 5 months old! I've got some Delawares hatching in about a week and a half or two. If you live around my area and interested you can come check them out when they hatch.

Hi Debbie!
I live in Boerne in the Hill Country and I have EE's, Tetra Tints, and bantam cochins, and some mutts, or what I like to call "Barnies" (barnyard mixes). So far, the heat does slow down most, except the cochins. They lay almost every day. They are small eggs, but delicious!! One of my barnies lays almost every day even in this heat. She is half Polish, and kind of looks leghorn-ish in the body.

My chickens laid all winter, they did not slow down, even on those COLD days we had. They actually lay better here in the winter.

As for the heat, lots of shade, pans of water they can stand in, spray the run, or if you free range, spray under a tree for them to lie in the mud. I use a fan in the coop.

Have lots of fun with your chickens!!!!

Hi there,
I too am new to chickens. We've had ours about 7 weeks now, right in the middle of all this heat. We live about 50 miles north of Dallas, and it's been miserably hot. Anyway, we have
2 barred-rocks, & 4 sex-links that are old enough to lay. The last few weeks they only laid
1-2 a day and just this week started getting 4 a day. The coop and run is in total shade. I wet
the run down once a day and I haven't seen any of them having any problems with the heat
so far. I do give them watermelon or canteloupe every day, or something cold. I also have
an old barrel lid that I keep water in so they can stand in it. They seem to like thata lot.

The best thing for Texas heat is Air Conditioning!

Seriously now... I have Rhode Island Reds, White Leghorns, and a Guinea. The RIRs and the WLs lay pretty well even in the heat. They do slow some. The Guinea lays when she feels like it.

I have read that Golden Comets (Sex Links?) are also very good layers.

Choose any breed you'd like, just make sure they have fresh water at all times, and pertection from the elements . Sun, wind,rain, etc.

I've had most breeds of poultry that includes waterfowl, pigeons,large fowl, bantams, turkeys and all do just fine in our weather. As long as they are taken care of properly you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm a little north of Dallas, and on my third year of chickens. It's so hot here that any breed will suffer some in the summer so be prepared to take measures to keep them cool regardless of what you get. Some things were mentioned above and every summer there are threads in the main forums (Feeding & Watering, or coop design or managing your flock).
But your question was about breeds that handle the heat better. I agree about Mediterranean breeds in general. I've had good luck with Leghorns and Catalanas. Leghorns lay a little more, but the Catalana eggs are just as big. Leghorns are a little more skittish, Catalanas aren't exactly cuddly but are a little more approachable. You probably want to avoid the breeds with really heavy feathering, feathered legs & such, although I have a Brahma who's doing fine this year.
And consider Naked Necks/Turkens. I have 3 of them, and 2 of them are very friendly - will jump on your arm for scratch. The other is not so friendly but I do manage to pet her occasionally. And they only have half as many feathers as regular birds, but still handle the cold fine (I don't know where in Texas you are, but mine handled the "Super Bowl Storm" this year with no problems in spite of fewer feathers and large single combs. At the same time, my Production Red rooster - developed from RI Red and New Hampshire Red - got a teensy bit of frostbite on his comb tips, despite being a New England breed.)
On the other hand, I also have Ameraucanas, Plymouth Rocks, and Buff Orpingtons (until predators got the BOs) and they have also done fine. They and the Brahma are not as active, though. But they get their foraging and running around done in the morning, I really only notice the difference in the afternoon.
Hope that helps!

We live in Austin. Last year we bought our first chickens - 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 speckled sussex and a blue wyandotte that we thought was a pullet but was a roo. This year we bought 3 Delaware chicks. All do well. The coop and run are under the trees and on the coolest side of the property. They sprawl out in the dirt most days. Sometimes I will dampen an area with the hose and they will dig a hole there to cool off. I put ice out that I have frozen in plastic juice bottles. The Delawares seem totally oblivious to the heat but they are very young still. I am very diligent about their access to water. They have several sources. I have to fill it up at least twice a day, sometimes three because other critters - squirrels and birds have found it in this heat. Hopefully next summer won't be this bad. It was particularly hot this year. Good luck!

Thanks all for the helpful info. I was thinking a buff orpington, a white leghorn, plymouth rock and I really really want a delaware. Riverman I would love to buy one of yours if thats what you meant but my coop is not going to be ready for another month or so. I hope sooner. I would hate to get something at have my coop postponed for whatever reason.
sad.png

Debbie

Back
Top Bottom