Texas Long Horn & 4-H

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by flea4leah, Aug 7, 2013.

1. flea4leah

flea4leah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    My dad bought a Texas Long Horn a couple weeks ago. We were able to get a halter on him and we are now training him to walk. I was wondering if we are able to show him at the fair with his horns on and based on his breed. If you have any information please PM me or post on here. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Would it be a local fair or a bigger show like a state fair?

3. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

4-H has a handbook, you might be able to find it online. It outlines what can and cannot be shown.

I grew up in the Adirondacks of NY, and EVERY county fair had horned cattle being shown by 4-H kids. But!!! Sometimes 4-H leaders make up their own "rules" for what can be shown, which is why I stopped participating in a particular 4-H club. The leader told me that my daughter could not show her Brahma calf, or ANY of our Dexters, polled or horned. That was complete BS - both breeds are allowed to be shown by 4-H youth, but he just didn't want them to be for some reason. After speaking with other parents at a Dexter show, I found out it is VERY common for 4-H leaders to discriminate against certain breeds. Some parents have fought back and been successful, but you have to wonder how awkward you might cause the situation to be if it is a small club (ours had about 10 members, which is why we left...).

4. flea4leah

flea4leah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    Thanks it would just be local fair, but were probably getting another calf.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by