texas people

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Arklady, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I was just wondering how you people in texas were doing concerning the hay and how you are going to do this year in the hay situation. How is the hay in your area, prices and quality... I am just really curious about it...

Arklady

2. Patchofheaven

Patchofheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Conroe, TX
    We live in Conroe (40 miles North of Houston) we bought a bale of hay about a month ago from a local feed store for $10.00. Most of the feed stores around this area were out of hay and waiting to buy "good" hay. But of few of them have quit selling hay completely because it's just not profitable any more and so hard to come by.

Dana

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    hey arklady! [​IMG]

i'm south of houston in rosharon and our coastal hay is $8.50 a bale right now at my feed store. they get it from wharton which is an hour south from here.

i normally get mine from this guy in bay city, a hundred bales at a time, i have no idea what he's selling it for right now since i haven't bought hay in months. he's usually a couple bucks cheaper than my feed store.

with all this rain, i'm sure there's going to be a shortage soon.

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    We are in central East Texas. Hay prices have come down for right now, but will probably go back up since all the rain has made it difficult to bale.

Feed store has square bales for $7.50, & rolls of hay range from $35.00 - $50.00 each depending on where you buy it.

We have a lot of grass & weeds now. The grass doesn't have a lot of nutrients in it because of all the rain. Seems to be water-logged.

Jean

5. eggcetra_farms

eggcetra_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    It's been a month or more since I bought hay, but at Mumme's in San Antonio coastal goes for $9/bale. The last time we got a real good soaking like we've been getting here lately I couldn't get my hands on a bale of hay for a month. Thankfully I didn't need it that badly, as I still had a little left over. I'm sure that they're not going to be able to bale any soon if not already. We're flooding all over the place! It's terrible.

6. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I just wondered because my brother in law is going to put his hay up for bids. His field is in Kansas. Just thought to check on the demand just now Kansas has seemed to have baled all over the place. Don't know how much is available for other states but as bad as you guys have had it I just thought....

I'd let ya know.

Arklady

7. kritter keeper

kritter keeper Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    im in centerville texas( half way between houston & dallas) bought hay in may for $4 a bale in the field is good horse hay alot better than last years high prices glad i dont have to worry this year about feeding the 4 legged loves

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by