Texas Playhouse coop- too many windows?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by monica.stromberg, May 6, 2011.

1. monica.stromberg

monica.stromberg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    We are making a coop out of my daughter's old playhouse. We live in North central Texas, so winters are pretty mild. I have read the ventilation page, and the book on open coops, but I am having a hard time believing they won't be too cold!
    [​IMG]

What do you think? There is also a little round window up high in the back wall.
    [​IMG]

I think I am going to add nesting boxes to the bottom of the back wall, and put the roosts right in front.
    [​IMG]

We repurposed the side of an old Jenny Lind crib to use as roosts- do you think they are too skinny? Most of the other roosts that I am seeing are boards, thick branches or rods.

I would appreciate any ideas or comments!

Chickens in Paradise!

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    In my honest opinion, the more holes the better!
    In terms of ventilation, you do have a decent amount of windows, which in the end means more ventilation. [​IMG]

3. Quirky

Quirky Tufted, not Rumpless

Apr 17, 2011
    The Granite State
    Well, I am new, but here goes....

You can and should be able to cover any ventilation windows you have, so as long as you rig up covers, you can control the vents according to the weather as needed.

As for roosts, I've read you need 2 in. diameter for heavy breeds and 1 inch for light breeds. The good news is you can use sturdy branches and save money. For my two cents, the crib rails appear small.

Good luck!

4. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    you do have lots of ventilation! Living in Oklahoma, imo, having plenty of ventilation for those super hot summers is more important than worrying about the winter. Also, windows are easy to board or cover up if it gets too cold.

You know, I do think the rungs are too thin. I'm assuming you'll have standard size birds and they may have a hard time with that. But if you will have bantam breeds it may be alright.

Otherwise, cute playhouse! It will be a cute coop!

5. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Omg what I wouldn't do for that house, I Love it!! That is so perfect for chickens and cute as can be

6. urbanolive

urbanolive Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    I would add shutters or something similar to be able to close up those lower windows in the winter. They don't mind the cold but don't like drafts blowing up under their feathers when it is even slightly chilly. And IMO the roosts are way too skinny. Chickens have pretty big feet and like to be able to squat down and cover them completely in the winter- that's why so many people use a 2x4 turned flat. But I think the playhouse will make a fine coop, it will be really cute !

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh wow that is cute! [​IMG]

As Quirky says, if it gets too cold-breezy in there, just cover some of the windows, it is not a big deal [​IMG]

Yes, I would swap in something significantly thicker for the roost.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

8. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    If you think you have too many windows, convert one or two of them into exterior nest boxes, that you can retrieve eggs from the outside. Otherwise, it looks like you'll be crawling in to retrieve eggs.

9. monica.stromberg

monica.stromberg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Quote:Actually, I had thought to add the boxes to the outside, with a flap up on top to lift and get the eggs out. No crawling for me!

Thanks everyone for the great advice- I do have some limbs from the oak trees that my husband has cut down, I think I will put them in. The poop will roll off onto the floor, making it easy to rake up, and the branches are nice and wide so the girls can squat on them and keep their feet warm.

10. MeowCluckBark

MeowCluckBark Chicken Lickin' Good

Mar 28, 2011
    Boise, ID
    If it were me I would make a table like base for it to sit on. I'd use hardware cloth to cover the inside of all openings that you don't use to open out to a nest box. I'd get some plexiglass and make frames for the remaining windows that are open and hinge them to all the windows putting a thin rubberized winter seal material on the back of each window cover so when I close the windows it doesn't leave a gap. The windows would hinge open and there should be something they can be latched too open and closed. Maybe just a hook and eye type system with two eyes to put the hook into *shrug* This way you have the option for how many windows are open and if you find they are too drafting you can close up the ones you want to. For the round holes at the top I'd get round vents from the hardware store. It will let the air out and give ventilation but not let a draft in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by