Texas Weather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ren2014, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Gees, yesterday it was 70+, today it's in the 30's. I'm battling with my brooder and trying to keep it a steady temperature. Yesterday the light went up as high as I could put it and back down today. Chicks are going on 3 weeks now. How detrimental is temperature to the little guys at this age? Thank you all for any input.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you have raised them outside, they are probably nearly acclimated to outdoor temps at this point. The main thing I would be concerned with is that they can escape from heat if they want to.

When I brooded outdoors in early spring, at 3 weeks the chicks were sleeping as far from the heat lamp as they could get, which was about 3' or 4', so I turned it off. Nighttime lows were more like 50 than 35, granted, but still....

3. chickkrzi

chickkrzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Waco texas
    Hey there, welcome to BYC. I'm from Waco TX myself so I understand you problem. I've got 10 Rhode Island Red (RIR) in a my incubator now. Having to adjust temperature twice a day to keep up with these cool fronts then warm fronts that we're having. What I have is a breeding pin. Once my chicks are 1 week old I use that coop (6×4 in size) as a brooding area. Just hang a heat lamp 2 ft off floor and they'll just move in an out as they need. I do open a window if outside temp hits 70's. Wish you luck.

4. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you for your reply. I have noticed on most days they are sleeping as far away as they can.

5. Ren2014

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you for your reply. At what age do you turn the lamp off? Since they are staying on the edges of the brooder I might turn it off on the warm days and go by their behavior instead of the thermometer reading.

6. chickkrzi

chickkrzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Waco texas

I really don't go by age, just how warm it is outside. Once they completely feather out I wont add any heat unless it drops below 45.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by