Textbook Prices!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Morgan7782, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Holy smack!! I just signed up for 3 classes at the nearby 2 year college. One animal science class, one livestock feeding class, and one english class. The two animal classes will count toward my general education as science. I just looked up my textbook prices...

Total: 686.50!!!!

You know how many CHICKENS I could get for 680.00 bucks?! Holysmokes! I felt awful because I have an education fund set aside from my Grandmother after she passed, so I ask my uncle to send money for class fees and books. My class fees totaled to 87 bucks. The books are crazy prices! Even used!!! How much do you pay for college textbooks??

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Welcome to the world of college books [​IMG]

They are ridiculous in price AND when you go to sell them back a book that cost you a couple of hundred dollars might net you $20.

Look into chegg.com they rent text books for different lengths of time for a lot cheaper.

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you for the URL I will definately look into that. And no kidding about buyback! You get a penny for what you paid originally. It's insane.. Plus I am only taking 3 classes. I have a cousin in law school right now I cannot IMAGINE what she is paying!!!!

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

We are renting testbooks for the 1st time. The cost ends up being about what I would pay for used books and I dont have to hassle with reselling...I just return...Woohoo!

5. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    Don't forget the library... Depending on the school, the library may have copies of all your textbooks. It's a hassle, but it's free. Or, you may be able to convince your public library to purchase it, then check it out and renew throughout the semester.

Or try Abebooks.com; they seem to have the cheapest used-book prices around.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you all for the tips. I will look into all of that. That price was for used books at the college store, I have one other textbook store I will check before I turn to online. Also I will have to check out the library and see what they have as well. I must be a newbie to college lol, nobody else seems as shocked at the overall price as I am [​IMG]

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
  8. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Definitely try chegg.com. They have never had a textbook of mine in the last two years, and my classes use new edition, random books! Even when the professor says good luck finding this, chegg has it

9. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Also check out textbooks.com. They have a really good buy back policy and their prices are fair. I've been using them for the past year and have been very happy with their service.

What really stinks is buying a book that covers two classes only to find out that a "new" version has come out between semesters. I've been burned by that twice now. [​IMG]

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Great thanks for the sites! Yeah buyback at the school store is worthless. Might as well KEEP the books as reference! Also, my school now has this thing called an E-Book. I am assuming it's an online version, but you still have to buy it. Anybody else familiar with "E Books"?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by