Textured egg shell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by annmarie33, May 1, 2016.

1. annmarie33

annmarie33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2015
    My hens are about 6 months old and I've gotten brown specks on the eggs but never a texture. Just 1 egg like this today. Can this mean something is wrong with the hen or do eggs sometimes do this naturally for no reason?

2. annmarie33

annmarie33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably normal...some birds lay smooth eggs some are more textured.

4. BrownEggsnHam

BrownEggsnHam Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    Southern Sweden
    My hens have had an occasional textured egg, even one that looked pretty much like the one in your picture... with kind of a pinholed pourous look. They've always laid normal eggs within a few days again.

I just wanted to add new pics (two views) of an egg one of my hens laid today that was the most extreme texture I've seen since starting with hens four years ago. It looks almost like a miniature asteroid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you look through these you can see a lot of different “defects” possible. The vast majority are just cosmetic and don’t affect anything significant at all, like AnnMarie’s egg.

With that soft-shelled egg, if it is a fairly rare occurrence, well we all have the hick-ups every now and then. If it is a regular occurrence it may indicate a problem.

Egg Quality Handbook
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/
    Egg Shell Defects
    https://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by