Thai Chicken (Spicy!)

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Windy Ridge, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    Windy Ridge Thai Chicken

1 whole chicken
    Salt
    3 stalks lemon grass, sliced on bias
    2 inches fresh ginger, sliced, or a tablespoon of ginger paste. (Don't bother with dried ginger.)
    12 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    6 hot chiles, sliced
    2 onions, sliced
    6 kaffir lime leaves
    1/4c Thai fish sauce
    2 tsp honey, preferably orange blossom honey
    1/4c fresh lime juice
    1/4c cilantro, fresh (or 2 tbsp dried)
    1/2c basil, fresh (or 4 tbsp dried)--if you don't have Thai basil, also add a pinch of cinnamon
    2 tsp black pepper

Salt the chicken inside and out and let stand for an hour. Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a pot. When boiling, add the chicken and bring to reboil. Skim any foam. Simmer for 30 minutes with lemon grass, ginger, garlic, chiles, onions and kaffir lime leaves. Add the fish sauce, honey and then salt to taste. Simmer about an hour more, until tender. Remove to serving bowl leaving the stock in the pot. To the stock, add lime juice, cilantro and basil: stir the herbs in the hot broth until wilted. Pour over chicken in bowl and sprinkle chicken with black pepper. Serve in bowls with broth poured over. Goes great with nan and raita (Indian). I also like it with basmati rice. Yum.

Be warned that this is spicy, though! You can cut down on the heat by removing the peppers, or by using mild pepper. I ask you, though... what would be the point?!!!

[​IMG]

2. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    Ah,

I LOVE Thai and here in the "booneys" its hard to come by!

makes me cry [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by