Thalia laid an Egg at School

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by thistlecreek1, Mar 26, 2009.

1. thistlecreek1

thistlecreek1 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    I took two of our hens to Kindergarten today, so the kids could see them, and touch them and see how our eggs differ from store eggs.

While we had a Q&A session with Greta: Thalia, hunkered down in the cage and laid a beautiful little green egg. The kids got to hold and pass around a fresh laid warm egg. And not a single child said "ew".

It was pretty cool.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    That's awesome! At least those kids will know where eggs really come from.

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    perfect!!!!! did she sing the egg song??

4. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    How wonderful! Oh how those kids love the chicks and chickens!

5. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    That is awesome! I would have loved to see that when I was a kid! Shoot I like to see that now!

6. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Cool! It really makes me mad when people are asked to touch a chicken egg, horse, cow, etc. and they are like standing there with their pretty little shoes and they are like, "Ew I don't want to touch that THING! It's all dirty and it might get my hands or my shoes dirty" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Or when they say, "Ewww that came out of a chicken butt!" [​IMG] geeez I mean it's so dumb!

That's so cool that they had a chance to see what a real chicken looks like, not one that is in a sandwich. [​IMG]

7. thistlecreek1

May 29, 2008
    The kids where so excited to pet the chickens. It was really nice, we even stopped in the 2nd grad class room before we left. They insisted one the eggs I had brought to show was peeping.... [​IMG]

8. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Aww...that's so cute. That's great that you are introducing them to children. They can see that eggs come from living creatures that have emotions and need to be nurtured.

9. thistlecreek1

May 29, 2008
    There wasn't time to cook eggs today, so next week i think they will be having scrambled eggs.

You know mrsbell, ours dont sing the egg song.. they sing the I'm the queen of the hay stack song, or the hey I'm busy in this box get out song. but not the hey i'm so fab I just laid an egg song..

10. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    That had to be exciting for the kids. I remember being little and the high school would have a farm day where the little kids from other schools got to come over and see the animals. Like everyone else I ran over to the area with the baby chicks. Weirdest thing is I didn't see any big chickens around. They had a peacock, pigs, goats, sheep, and one of those really large tall horses. I got to sit on it and the guy that put me on its back was on a step stool cause it was so tall. I think we kids get to touch an animal it makes more of an impression than just looking at it. Feel more of a connection to it. Would of been exciting to see a chicken pop out an egg. I don't even get to see it with my chickens. They usually will leave the nest box or make noises for me to get away from them even if I'm standing 7 feet back. I have gotten eggs that were freshly laid. Prefer to collect them fresh since they usually have less to dirt to clean off of them. It's one thing I don't mine touching that just came out of somethings butt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by