Thank everything that is for scared roos

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Razadia, May 12, 2011.

1. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would have lost more than one chick to a 4 foot black rat snake if Regg wasn't such a (insert choice word here). We heard him flapping out in the pin and it's way too late at night for them to be out of the coop. I only have 4 chicks now. [​IMG] I'm so upset over this. We killed the snake, but I still lost a chick. If I hadn't taken the eggs out I would have lost those. I wish I had an incubator, then I'd feel better because I'd be able to hatch more. I love snakes, but I WILL NOT stand for them eating my chicks.

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG] , and as for the snake, you had to do what you had to do [​IMG] .

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    We have 2 pet snakes but when my DH brought the first home I told him if it ever got out and got one of my chickens it would not have a head.

4. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It looks like it's time for me to do my nightly coop checks again. I haven't lost a chick, chicken, or egg to snakes in years. The last time we had a problem with a snake an eastern diamond back had gotten into the coop. Reggie (Regg's dad) was bitten and managed to kill the snake before he died himself. I just don't understand why Regg is such a big baby. [​IMG] I think all my chicks are roos anyway. Should have heard my scream. I am by no means afraid of snakes. I grabbed it by it's tail and held on till my brother got out there with a shovel so he could grab it by the head. Still, my scream was that of a hysteric chicken momma freaking out over another lost chick. Now I only have 4 out of 10 left. Ugh, my luck has been terrible this year.

Double edited for horrid mistakes.

Last edited: May 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by