1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thank God for Equine Vet Assistants!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kandy, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Kandy

Kandy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2008
    Idaho
    My dogs attacked my chickens last night. And I was just starting to trust them (Grrr!). They killed one, and one they must've tried to get because I couldn't find her until evening when she came home to roost, and I saw a dog attacking another, and the dog let go when I hollered. That chicken ran off, and I found it later, towards the evening, when they start heading to the coop. She had a huge, gaping hole under her wing, but it looked like it was just the torn skin, so I went to our neighbor's. She (the neighbor) is a Equine Vet's Assistant, so I figured she'd know how to do stitches. She wasn't too sure, because the chicken's skin is so thin (especially compared to a horses, I'm sure), but she stitched the chick up beautifully. Now I'm just hoping she'll be alright. She seems good, lots of energy, jumped out of the box and ran away as soon I took the top off, so I let her outside. I'm putting colloidal silver on the stitches to keep infection away. I sure hope it works, but if it doesn't, I'll get some antibiotics. They shouldn't be too expensive.

Next, I'll see if the dogs attack any more chickens that wander into their pen. (I'd let them in the front yard last night.) If they do, it's off to the vet we go. I've never had to put a dog down before, and I'm sure not looking forward to it, but you do what you have to do. I can't give them away, because they've bit people before, and I don't want them to hurt someone.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Sorry that you lost a chick and hope the other one does okay...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by